Turn on thread page Beta

Why do feminists say 'teach men not to rape'? watch

ReputationRep:
    How delusional

ReputationRep:
    Believe it or not, most rapists aren't evil psychopaths that everyone paints them to be purely because it's an easier concept to deal with. It's not that black and white. Most of them are just normal people who did a horrible thing, many feel remorse and guilt.

Somewhere is their lives they went the wrong way, their morals became skewed ect. There are many factors that can lead someone to rape.

It's important for us as a society to not only understand how this happens, but also to help prevent this.

Edit: for the easily emotionally charged and those who overreact. No, I'm not saying that rapists aren't accountable for their own actions. Stop jumping to conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Believe it or not, most rapists aren't evil psychopaths that everyone paints them to be purely because it's an easier concept to deal with. It's not that black and white. Most of them are just normal people who did a horrible thing, many feel remorse and guilt.

Somewhere is their lives they went the wrong way, their morals became skewed ect. There are many factors that can lead someone to rape.

It's important for us as a society to not only understand how this happens, but also to help prevent this.
    True. Rapists aren't bad, they just made a mistake, and shaming them like that is wrong! Instead, teach women to not walk alone at night, to not wear too revealing clothes, cause it may make those poor men make mistakes and rape them, and if they do, it's on them!

ReputationRep:
    Women rape men aswell like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elizah)
    True. Rapists aren't bad, they just made a mistake, and shaming them like that is wrong! Instead, teach women to not walk alone at night, to not wear too revealing clothes, cause it may make those poor men make mistakes and rape them, and if they do, it's on them!
    Well done for turning it into an emotionally charged argument instead of a logical debate. I'm in no way saying they are not responsible for their own actions. Because they clearly are. But it's silly to put your fingers in your ears and yell blah blah blah i'm not listening just because you don't want to know how and why they end up as rapists. It's attitudes like that which prevent progress, which in turn does not help prevent rape.

ReputationRep:

You're missing the point, they're "rapists" because the woman accused them of being a rapist. Because in this day and age, instead of waking up thinking cor blimey, did I really shag that last night, I must of been sooo pissed lolol. Now they scream "I would have NEVER HAD SEX with you! You, you you RAPED me!" Give it up love. It's fault of prosecutors like that fat ugly Alison Saunders that's the head of the CPS trying to change century of law on rape to being "guility untiled proved innocent" rather than "innocent until proved guilty"

Take away the false rape accusations from the chancers too embarassed to have shagged munter the night before and you'll find rape isn't really that big a problem. Well, it is a big problem, just not a frequent one. There's not a rapist at every corner.

ReputationRep:
    Because most feminists believe every male has an instinctive desire to rape.
    Funny how in most female rape cases the sentence is not nearly as long.

ReputationRep:
    Well done for turning it into an emotionally charged argument instead of a logical debate. I'm in no way saying they are not responsible for their own actions. Because they clearly are. But it's silly to put your fingers in your ears and yell blah blah blah i'm not listening just because you don't want to know how and why they end up as rapists. It's attitudes like that which prevent progress, which in turn does not help prevent rape.
    When you say that "rapists are not that bad, they're simply poor poor men who make mistakes", you're trivializing rape. Saying that rape is the result of men committing mistakes is trivializing rape and doing so is toxic. Stop justifying rape by saying that rapists are capable of feeling remorse, because that's completely irrelevant. I don't care whether they're capable of feeling remorse or not, there have been cases of murderers feeling remorse, that doesn't justify their actions, stop making them as less worse than they actually are.

ReputationRep:
    When you say that "rapists are not that bad, they're simply poor poor men who make mistakes", you're trivializing rape. Saying that rape is the result of men committing mistakes is trivializing rape and doing so is toxic. Stop justifying rape by saying that rapists are capable of feeling remorse, because that's completely irrelevant. I don't care whether they're capable of feeling remorse or not, there have been cases of murderers feeling remorse, that doesn't justify their actions, stop making them as less worse than they actually are.
    I think you're slightly over exaggerating what she said, I don't believe "rapists are not that bad, they're simply poor poor men who make mistakes" was a fair generalisation of the message she was attempting to put across.

No one here is trying to justify rape to any extent as it is vile, but don't turn a calm, logical debate into an emotionally charged argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Except I in no way said that, you read that from your emotions. Not from my words.

And nowhere did I say their actions are justified.

If you don't want to understand what causes rape then fine, but don't come crying about rape not being prevented then. You can't prevent something you don't understand.

If you want to have an intelligent discussion and actual listen rather read things that aren't there then fine. But if you want to start getting emotional and turning this into a fallacy then don't reply back to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheyCallMePolish)
    I think you're slightly over exaggerating what he said, I don't believe "rapists are not that bad, they're simply poor poor men who make mistakes" was a fair generalisation of the message he was attempting to put across.

No one here is trying to justify rape to ant extent as it is vile, but don't turn a calm, logical debate into an emotionally charged argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm female

And yes I think she is overreacting.
    And she completely made up those words, I did not say that. She read what she wanted to read. She clearly wanted something to get upset and enraged at. Rather than something to think about.

The only thing I'm putting across is if you don't understand what makes a rapist, you can't prevent someone from becoming one.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, just edited my original post, my bad!

But yeah exactly, she was looking for an argument clearly and was putting words into you mouth which you clearly hadn't even suggested.

Unfortunately with topics of discussion like these, you're bound to get people turning the discussion into something it's not, and not actually paying attention to what is being discussed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Except I in no way said that, you read that from your emotions. Not from my words.

And nowhere did I say their actions are justified.

If you don't want to understand what causes rape then fine, but don't come crying about rape not being prevented then. You can't prevent something you don't understand.

If you want to have an intelligent discussion and actual listen rather read things that aren't there then fine. But if you want to start getting emotional and turning this into a fallacy then don't reply back to me.

When you say that, you're portraying rapists as "normal people who feel remorse and guilt" and hence you're making them up as "not as bad as they're thought out to be" and doing so trivializes rape as a concept. Doing so is toxic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisistheend)
    You're missing the point, they're "rapists" because the woman accused them of being a rapist. Because in this day and age, instead of waking up thinking cor blimey, did I really shag that last night, I must of been sooo pissed lolol. Now they scream "I would have NEVER HAD SEX with you! You, you you RAPED me!" Give it up love. It's fault of prosecutors like that fat ugly Alison Saunders that's the head of the CPS trying to change century of law on rape to being "guility untiled proved innocent" rather than "innocent until proved guilty"

Take away the false rape accusations from the chancers too embarassed to have shagged munter the night before and you'll find rape isn't really that big a problem. Well, it is a big problem, just not a frequent one. There's not a rapist at every corner.
    1 out of 181 rape accusations are false. 20% of all women will be raped in their lifetime. Stop derailing the discussion about rape to things that are completely irrelevant.

ReputationRep:

When you say that, you're portraying rapists as "normal people who feel remorse and guilt" and hence you're making them up as "not as bad as they're thought out to be" and doing so trivializes rape as a concept. Doing so is toxic.
    Because most of them are. I didn't not say they weren't necessarily bad people. People aren't black or white. There isn't good and evil. People are complex.

If you want to believe that all rapists are psychopaths then fine you do that. But to believe that is illogical and silly, and it helps no one other than you and your emotions because you find it easier to deal with. Which is a selfish approach.

And like I said (and you not surprisingly ignored) you cannot prevent what you don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheyCallMePolish)
    Sorry, just edited my original post, my bad!

But yeah exactly, she was looking for an argument clearly and was putting words into you mouth which you clearly hadn't even suggested.

Unfortunately with topics of discussion like these, you're bound to get people turning the discussion into something it's not, and not actually paying attention to what is being discussed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It just frustrates me that people only see these issues through emotionally clouded eyes. Emotions don't help with these issues. Emotions don't give us the answers. Understanding the issue and logical reasoning gives us answers to tackle the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saint-Saens)
    How delusional
    Because it sounds better than "teach women to take some degree of responsibility for their own safety".

ReputationRep:
    Because most of them are. I didn't not say they weren't necessarily bad people. People aren't black or white. There isn't good and evil. People are complex.

If you want to believe that all rapists are psychopaths then fine you do that. But to believe that is illogical and silly, and it helps no one other than you and your emotions because you find it easier to deal with. Which is a selfish approach.

And like I said (and you not surprisingly ignored) you cannot prevent what you don't understand.
    You did by saying that rapists were simply normal people who committed mistakes. When you do that, you're playing the "not as bad as they're made out to be" card, which trivializes rapists.
    Not to mention, it is completely irrelevant in regards to OP's question, as he asked why we should teach men not to rape instead of teaching women to take precautions, not your opinion on why men rape, and trivalizing rapists by saying that they're normal people who made a few bad mistakes does not help the cause either, thank you though.

ReputationRep:
    1 out of 181 rape accusations are false. 20% of all women will be raped in their lifetime. Stop derailing the discussion about rape to things that are completely irrelevant.
    20%? Well that's clearly a lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwinnyP)
    Women rape men aswell like.
    No they don't actually.

Rape is defined as penetration with a penis.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.