Turn on thread page Beta
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    Hi everyone

    So I've known about this situation for a while but it had just hit me over the last couple of days what an impact it will have.

    I'm currently living at home with my mum and her husband. My boyfriend is in Portsmouth as he works with Royal Navy (I'm in Scotland). My mum's marriage has broken down, and so she will be looking to put the house on the market in October and moving in with her parents (my grandparents).

    I have always said I would move in with my dad, his wife and my stepbrother, as they live in the same town, and it is basically a second home anyway. Although that is the issue, it's my SECOND home. All of my furniture and personal belongings are in my mum's house, and the room here is at least double the size of that at my dad's.

    Obviously my boyfriend is almost 500 miles away so moving in together is impossible, and his credit rating is the worst it could possibly be, so looking for a mortgage together for a house/flat for me to live in is impossible - my part-time earnings while studying would allow me next to nothing in mortgage.

    Add to this the timing of going into my final year of my Honours degree and I genuinely do not know what to do anymore. The options are move into my dad's and stick everything in storage (probably costing absolute minimum of £50 each month) including a number of books and equipment needed for university. Or go to my local council and declare homelessness and take whatever I am able to get. But then that would also mean a large increase in outgoings.

    I just feel like every situation is a lost cause and the stress I'm feeling already, am terrified of the affect its going to have on my studies.

    Please, any advice or anything at all would be appreciated.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2015
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.