kgsj20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What percentage do you need at AS to get an A* at A2 for French? I got 88/110 in unit 1 (listening, reading and writing) paper and 50/50 for the speaking. Would I need to retake the unit 1 paper to get an A* overall??
ThatGuyYannick
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably 42-50% in AS
You definitely made it easier for yourself since you did that well in AS, so it'll be easier to get that A* grade!
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kgsj20)
What percentage do you need at AS to get an A* at A2 for French? I got 88/110 in unit 1 (listening, reading and writing) paper and 50/50 for the speaking. Would I need to retake the unit 1 paper to get an A* overall??
Check this with your teacher because it may be slightly different from one exam board to another, but basically you need at least 90% in each exam at AS level and at A2 to get an A*. So although, at 80%, your AS result is really good, it's not good enough for an A* next year.
Toby912
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kgsj20)
CAN U PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW YOU GOT THOSE GRADES
. I HAVE already done A2 French & got a Low C, I am pretty good in class and worked my but off but failed to get higher than a C in every unit despite retaking the As speaking
For A2 I crammed real hard for the argument side & literrally learnt what my teacher told me was an A* level response for questions based on my film & book, yet got only a C (1 off a B)

i GOT A D in a2 unit 3 also...
I did aqa & I am considering leaving French & doing 3 other A2's instead because It SEEMS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to get an A/A* you can't be human lol?
Toby912
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also i retook as unit 1 it felt great... I got a ****ing c?
kgsj20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Toby912)
CAN U PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW YOU GOT THOSE GRADES
. I HAVE already done A2 French & got a Low C, I am pretty good in class and worked my but off but failed to get higher than a C in every unit despite retaking the As speaking
For A2 I crammed real hard for the argument side & literrally learnt what my teacher told me was an A* level response for questions based on my film & book, yet got only a C (1 off a B)

i GOT A D in a2 unit 3 also...
I did aqa & I am considering leaving French & doing 3 other A2's instead because It SEEMS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to get an A/A* you can't be human lol?
Just takes a lot of practice!! I did soo much preparation for the exam and also WIDER READING and other efforts outside class, eg reading French articles, watching French videos, listening to French radio and turning my phone settings to French! I think it also helps that I speak another language fluently so I find it easier to learn new languages I hope you don't drop French though- my friend went from a D to an A after retaking so it is more than POSSIBLE! Good luck!
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anna Schoon)
Check this with your teacher because it may be slightly different from one exam board to another, but basically you need at least 90% in each exam at AS level and at A2 to get an A*. So although, at 80%, your AS result is really good, it's not good enough for an A* next year.
Not true, you need 90% overall at A2 and 80% overall in total. It is theoretically possible to get an A* with 60% (a low C) at AS and 10% at A2.

Realistically you're unlikely to get one unless your AS modules are 90%+ on average though.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To get the A* you need:

- At least 320 UMS for both years total = 80% overall
- At least 180 UMS of that needs to come from the second year, which works out as 90% average for the second year.

Give me a second and I can work something out.
---
Using AQA's UMS calculator (these were June 15 exams right?) you currently have:

88/110 = 114 UMS
50/50 = 60 UMS

= 174 UMS, you need at least 180 UMS from the second year (and 320 overall minimum) which would take you to 354 UMS.

So it's not the AS grades you need to concern yourself with, it's now a matter of getting 90% in A2
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
- At least 320 UMS for both years total
:yy:
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
:yy:
Thanks for confirming !

Edited post.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads