Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What percentage do you need at AS to get an A* at A2 for French? I got 88/110 in unit 1 (listening, reading and writing) paper and 50/50 for the speaking. Would I need to retake the unit 1 paper to get an A* overall??

ReputationRep:
    Probably 42-50% in AS
    You definitely made it easier for yourself since you did that well in AS, so it'll be easier to get that A* grade!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kgsj20)
    What percentage do you need at AS to get an A* at A2 for French? I got 88/110 in unit 1 (listening, reading and writing) paper and 50/50 for the speaking. Would I need to retake the unit 1 paper to get an A* overall??
    Check this with your teacher because it may be slightly different from one exam board to another, but basically you need at least 90% in each exam at AS level and at A2 to get an A*. So although, at 80%, your AS result is really good, it's not good enough for an A* next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kgsj20)
    CAN U PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW YOU GOT THOSE GRADES
    . I HAVE already done A2 French & got a Low C, I am pretty good in class and worked my but off but failed to get higher than a C in every unit despite retaking the As speaking
    For A2 I crammed real hard for the argument side & literrally learnt what my teacher told me was an A* level response for questions based on my film & book, yet got only a C (1 off a B)

i GOT A D in a2 unit 3 also...
    I did aqa & I am considering leaving French & doing 3 other A2's instead because It SEEMS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to get an A/A* you can't be human lol?

ReputationRep:
    Also i retook as unit 1 it felt great... I got a ****ing c?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toby912)
    CAN U PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW YOU GOT THOSE GRADES
    . I HAVE already done A2 French & got a Low C, I am pretty good in class and worked my but off but failed to get higher than a C in every unit despite retaking the As speaking
    For A2 I crammed real hard for the argument side & literrally learnt what my teacher told me was an A* level response for questions based on my film & book, yet got only a C (1 off a B)

i GOT A D in a2 unit 3 also...
    I did aqa & I am considering leaving French & doing 3 other A2's instead because It SEEMS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to get an A/A* you can't be human lol?
    Just takes a lot of practice!! I did soo much preparation for the exam and also WIDER READING and other efforts outside class, eg reading French articles, watching French videos, listening to French radio and turning my phone settings to French! I think it also helps that I speak another language fluently so I find it easier to learn new languages I hope you don't drop French though- my friend went from a D to an A after retaking so it is more than POSSIBLE! Good luck!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Anna Schoon)
    Check this with your teacher because it may be slightly different from one exam board to another, but basically you need at least 90% in each exam at AS level and at A2 to get an A*. So although, at 80%, your AS result is really good, it's not good enough for an A* next year.
    Not true, you need 90% overall at A2 and 80% overall in total. It is theoretically possible to get an A* with 60% (a low C) at AS and 10% at A2.

Realistically you're unlikely to get one unless your AS modules are 90%+ on average though.

ReputationRep:
    To get the A* you need:

- At least 320 UMS for both years total = 80% overall
    - At least 180 UMS of that needs to come from the second year, which works out as 90% average for the second year.

Give me a second and I can work something out.
    ---
    Using AQA's UMS calculator (these were June 15 exams right?) you currently have:

88/110 = 114 UMS
    50/50 = 60 UMS

= 174 UMS, you need at least 180 UMS from the second year (and 320 overall minimum) which would take you to 354 UMS.

So it's not the AS grades you need to concern yourself with, it's now a matter of getting 90% in A2
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    - At least 320 UMS for both years total
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    :yy:
    Thanks for confirming !

Edited post.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 24, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.