Turn on thread page Beta

Can you explain how discriminating ANYONE on ANY grounds, is ANY different to racism? watch

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know what others think.

.....I don't write much to keep it as open as possible.

Edit: Racism - in it's most basic terms, is hating someone for something they haven't consciously done.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it would be reasonable of me to strike someone solely on the grounds that he is attacking me with a knife but not on the grounds that he has black skin. Does that help to bring the issue within your level of understanding?

Similarly, it would be fine to decide not to give someone a job offer on the grounds that they do not have the necessary qualifications, skills and experience but not on the grounds of their skin colour.

Both are examples of obviously legitimate forms of discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it isn't in theory, but at the same time should some people be accepted? I for one would never want to have anything to do with a pedo or a child/spousal abuser or something like that and wouldn't feel bad for completely ostracizing them, may seem wrong to others but to me it's perfectly fine

ReputationRep:
    When you say "on ANY grounds" do you mean things which are out of their control like gender, disability or where they were born?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I believe it would be reasonable of me to strike someone solely on the grounds that he is attacking me with a knife but not on the grounds that he has black skin. Does that help to bring the issue within your level of understanding?

Similarly, it would be fine to decide not to give someone a job offer on the grounds that they do not have the necessary qualifications, skills and experience but not on the grounds of their skin colour.

Both are examples of obviously legitimate forms of discrimination.
    Well, it isn't discrimination if someone is attacking you with a knife, for one, that is all I would be able to see (the knife) and .....they're attacking you with a knife.

Choosing whether someone is suitable for a job isn't discrimination either, but, obviously power in positions of power have been known to abuse it.

so again, can you explain how discriminating (the prejudicial treatment of) ANYONE on ANY grounds, is ANY different to racism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM713)
    Well, it isn't discrimination if someone is attacking you with a knife, for one, that is all I would be able to see (the knife) and .....they're attacking you with a knife.

Choosing whether someone is suitable for a job isn't discrimination either, but, obviously power in positions of power have been known to abuse it.

so again, can you explain how discriminating (the prejudicial treatment of) ANYONE on ANY grounds, is ANY different to racism?
    Well if you prejudge someone who has a black eye (thinking they get into lots of fights) and decide not to talk to them or give them life insurance, it isn't racism because the person with the black eye isn't a race. All they have is a black eye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    I guess it isn't in theory, but at the same time should some people be accepted? I for one would never want to have anything to do with a pedo or a child/spousal abuser or something like that and wouldn't feel bad for completely ostracizing them, may seem wrong to others but to me it's perfectly fine
    If it isn't in theory, why isn't it in reality? Well yeah, I don't see why not. If it is something you have heard from questionable sources, then it is discrimination, if it's something you know it be true it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheetahCurtis)
    When you say "on ANY grounds" do you mean things which are out of their control like gender, disability or where they were born?
    Absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    Well if you prejudge someone who has a black eye (thinking they get into lots of fights) and decide not to talk to them or give them life insurance, it isn't racism because the person with the black eye isn't a race. All they have is a black eye.
    Racism - in it's most basic terms, hating someone for something they haven't consciously done.

ReputationRep:
    Racism - in it's most basic terms, hating someone for something they haven't consciously done.
    Incorrect. A person with a black eye compared to one without one (let's assume they're both white) are not different races.
    racismˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/noun
    1. the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."theories of racism"
      • prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people who cry about racism are very sexist. This confuses me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    Incorrect. A person with a black eye compared to one without one (let's assume they're both white) are not different races.
    racismˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/noun
    So racism has absolutely notion to do with what I said?? :rolleyes:

Dictionary definition? could you not say it in your own understanding of the word?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johann von Gauss)
    IMO its not

But from a very early age, everyone is conditioned to how bad racism is, more so than other types of discrimination

You don't have to be condition to see how bad racism is or ANY other form of prejudices and there are the same, you just have to open your eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    A lot of people who cry about racism are very sexist. This confuses me.
    Quite specific, what do you mean? ....are you talking about gangsta type people?

From them notorious hip hop music vids etc.....

ReputationRep:

Your problem is you don't know what discriminate means. It means recognizing a difference.

You are making the common mistake of adding the word illegal in front of it, meaning marking a difference for impermissible reasons.

When someone is coming at me with a knife I am pleased to be able to discriminate the difference between that situation and a simple friendly approach from a stranger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Your problem is you don't know what discriminate means. It means recognizing a difference.

You are making the common mistake of adding the word illegal in front of it, meaning marking a difference for impermissible reasons.

When someone is coming at me with a knife I am pleased to be able to discriminate the difference between that situation and a simple friendly approach from a stranger.
    Your problem is, it also means prejudicial treatment of apparently different categories of people.

No I have not added that word, you have.

You're losing me here, I am not talking about life and death situations, but, everyday ones.

Throwing out a question:
    Can discriminating a person based on the fact that they have tatoos/piercings (ie not giving them a job they are qualified for or looking down on them) be on the same level of wrongness (I don't know the right word to use sorry) as rasicm ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    Throwing out a question:
    Can discriminating a person based on the fact that they have tatoos/piercings (ie not giving them a job they are qualified for or looking down on them) be on the same level of wrongness (I don't know the right word to use sorry) as rasicm ?
    Good question, because unlike racism, that is something the person has decided to do to themselves. Ultimately, it's them expressing themselves, and you should be free to do that, on that basis, and given the person is qualified to do the job well, why would not give them the job? and why should a prejudices you hold effect them?

As for it being compared to racism, it is because to not know someone and to have an opinion about them as a person, is a prejudice, like racism.

ReputationRep:
    Your problem is, it also means prejudicial treatment of apparently different categories of people.
    No. Here is Collins' definition:

1.(intransitive; usually followed by in favour of or against) to single out a particular person, group, etc, for special favour or, esp, disfavour, often [i.e. by no means always, and not necessarily] because of a characteristic such as race, colour, sex, intelligence, etc

2.when intr, foll by between or among to recognize or understand the difference (between); distinguish

3.(intransitive) to constitute or mark a difference

4.(intransitive) to be discerning in matters of taste

To make the discrimination the result of prejudice you'll need to add the word prejudicial.

ReputationRep:
    So racism has absolutely notion to do with what I said?? :rolleyes:

Dictionary definition? could you not say it in your own understanding of the word?
    You can't tell the difference between racism and descrimination (the pre-judicial one), so I provided a dictionary definition to help you.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.