Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how discriminating Imperial's interviews are compared to Oxbridge's. I'm applying for MechEng, by the way. Would anyone happen to know..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    For Computing in 2013, 88% of applicants received an interview, and 87.56% of those interviewed received a conditional offer. Meaning that 77% of applicants got an offer.

This will obviously vary by department, so YMMV.
    Wow. I wonder why the odds are so great? Thanks for this - would you happen to know where I can find out about MechEng?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Wow. I wonder why the odds are so great? Thanks for this - would you happen to know where I can find out about MechEng?
    I don't think they publish this data anywhere but they are required by law to tell you it if you ask. Submit a freedom of information request here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/...college_london

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    I don't think they publish this data anywhere but they are required by law to tell you it if you ask. Submit a freedom of information request here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/...college_london
    Thanks, I sent a request.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    For Computing in 2013, 88% of applicants received an interview, and 87.56% of those interviewed received a conditional offer. Meaning that 77% of applicants got an offer.

"For Computing in 2013, 88% of applicants received an interview".

Are you sure this is true? I thought that about 40 to 45% of people are interviewed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)

Seems dubious, seeing as the overall admission rate is about 15%.

ReputationRep:
    See attached link.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...-2014-2015.pdf

Undergraduate acceptance rate is 1:8.

For the stats quoted in the FOI:

88% of those who applied for Computing or Joint Mathematics and Computer Science ('JMC') and were interviewed by the Computing Department received offers.

the stats tell you 4 in 5 people who went to an interview receive an offer, and they interview most of their applicants. What it doesn't say is how many are shortlisted.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geminist)
    See attached link.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...-2014-2015.pdf

Undergraduate acceptance rate is 1:8.

For the stats quoted in the FOI:

88% of those who applied for Computing or Joint Mathematics and Computer Science ('JMC' and were interviewed by the Computing Department received offers.

the stats tell you 4 in 5 people who went to an interview receive an offer, and they interview most of their applicants. What it doesn't say is how many are shortlisted.

Hope this helps!
    Huh? If only one in eight are admitted, and four in five interviewed receive offers, how could they be interviewing most of their applicants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfterShave)
    Seems dubious, seeing as the overall admission rate is about 15%.
    Huh? If only one in eight are admitted, and four in five interviewed receive offers, how could they be interviewing most of their applicants?
    Some take up places at other unis eg Oxbridge and some don't make the offer.
    Also doesn't tell you how many received an interview. It's normally a third for Computing.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Some take up places at other unis eg Oxbridge and some don't make the offer.
    Also doesn't tell you how many received an interview. It's normally a third for Computing.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly what I mean, a third (or close to) cannot be considered "most".

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I mean, a third (or close to) cannot be considered "most".
    Ah this clears things up, I was quite confused about the first post. So for computing about 33% of applicants are interviewed and out of these about 88% receive an offer. Is that right?

Also, this hides 2 points,

1. There might be some students who don't take the offer or choose it as their insurance choice. (Normally I think most people(~60-70%) take up the offer though). Last year most offers given out were such that it was impossible to insurance them!

2. People given offers may not necessarily meet the conditions of the offer. From experience last year, it seems like as if the hardest part of getting in for a computing course is meeting the offer, especially if you need to do STEP (for JMC it is even harder)!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2015

University open days

1. Imperial College
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.