Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to study German and Philosophy at Oxford University and am in the process of apply now. I'm a little concerned about the MLAT though, because I know it's something you can't really prepare for. I'm most worried about the vocabulary side of it - during the translation sections, what is the best tactic if I don't know the word I'm trying to translate (both into and out of German)?

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest guessing at something that would fit in the context, it's better than just leaving it blank. Try and learn as much vocab/grammar beforehand - but at the end of the day, dont stress too much about it. Obviously you want to do well, but if you work yourself into a panic, that won't help either.

If you dont know something, leave it while you continue. Then go back and if you still can't remember - make an educated guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German_Coriander)
    ... because I know it's something you can't really prepare for. I'm most worried about the vocabulary side of it ...
    But there you go -- you can indeed prepare for it by expanding your vocabulary through reading lots and lots of stuff.

If you don't know the exact word, put something close in meaning to it (or perhaps resort to a phrase). You may show that your lexical knowledge fails for that question BUT if you put something, anything, you can still show off your proficiency in conjugation, syntax, etc.

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obsidious)
    But there you go -- you can indeed prepare for it by expanding your vocabulary through reading lots and lots of stuff.

If you don't know the exact word, put something close in meaning to it (or perhaps resort to a phrase). You may show that your lexical knowledge fails for that question BUT if you put something, anything, you can still show off your proficiency in conjugation, syntax, etc.

Good luck!!
    Thank you so much, that really helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    I would suggest guessing at something that would fit in the context, it's better than just leaving it blank. Try and learn as much vocab/grammar beforehand - but at the end of the day, dont stress too much about it. Obviously you want to do well, but if you work yourself into a panic, that won't help either.

If you dont know something, leave it while you continue. Then go back and if you still can't remember - make an educated guess
    Will do, thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Also, don't underestimate the importance of checking your work...I made so many careless mistakes on my practice one

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=I'm most worried about the vocabulary side of it - during the translation sections, what is the best tactic if I don't know the word I'm trying to translate[/QUOTE]

Hey, first of all good luck!! Will be sitting the MLAT for French so can't help on the German front but do know that on the Oxford website pages that mention the MLAT they say that they don't consider it to be a vocabulary test, so don't panic if you don't know certain words or phrases, I think their main focus is the grammar. All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German_Coriander)
    I'm looking to study German and Philosophy at Oxford University and am in the process of apply now. I'm a little concerned about the MLAT though, because I know it's something you can't really prepare for. I'm most worried about the vocabulary side of it - during the translation sections, what is the best tactic if I don't know the word I'm trying to translate (both into and out of German)?
    I'm applying for those subjects at Oxford too, how are you preparing for the philosophy section? For German I am just going over grammar

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for French and Philosophy at Oxford and I'm also freaking out slightly over how to prepare for the philosophy section! The specimen paper wasn't too bad, however I could easily see myself freezing in the test and not being able to write anything. does anybody have any advice?

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.