Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm thinking about what A levels I might decide to do. History or Law are the things I'm most interested in studying at University. I already know that I pretty much definitely want to do History and French, and I will probably also choose Politics.

What other A Level subjects do you think I might find interesting? I have already considered English but I'm not too keen on that idea and I'm not very 'Mathsy' or 'Sciencey' either. There is also the possibility of either Latin or Classics; has anyone done either of these and found it interesting?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
    Banana

ReputationRep:
    With History i would really recommend Philosophy!

ReputationRep:
    Latin is cool and AS in particular is a straightforward step up as long as you were good at it at GCSE. I think Classics is an essay-ish subject but not as heavy as History or Politics

Maybe Economics?

ReputationRep:
    Don't overload yourself with too many essay subjects. Take something like english rather than french due to how complicated it gets at A-level (or so I hear!). I would take maths - maths opens up so many options and I think if law doesn't work out, you can definitely fall back on maths on take a degree related to maths. Definitely have a look at maths!

ReputationRep:
    classics goes well with history - but so does politics! depending on what history units youre doing (i did one on british politics so politics really helped me with that!)

also maybe look at sociology? i found it went really well with both politics and history!

i did 4 essays subjects, and while it can be hard to master all the different essay techniques (all for of my subjects had different structures) its not too difficult if you manage your time well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinesICB318)
    Don't overload yourself with too many essay subjects. Take something like english rather than french due to how complicated it gets at A-level (or so I hear!). I would take maths - maths opens up so many options and I think if law doesn't work out, you can definitely fall back on maths on take a degree related to maths. Definitely have a look at maths!
    Okay - but I really love French and definitely want to continue it, unless GCSE goes horribly wrong (which I imagine wouldn't happen).

I also mentioned that I'm really not keen on doing Maths (Edit: or English) past GCSE.

'Rather than French due to how complicated it gets at A Level (or so I hear!).'
    -I'm always up for a challenge!

Thank you though for all the suggestions everyone - they are much appreciated and have given me much to think about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana00)
    Okay - but I really love French and definitely want to continue it, unless GCSE goes horribly wrong (which I imagine wouldn't happen).

I also mentioned that I'm really not keen on doing Maths (Edit: or English) past GCSE.

'Rather than French due to how complicated it gets at A Level (or so I hear!).'
    -I'm always up for a challenge!

Thank you though for all the suggestions everyone - they are much appreciated and have given me much to think about
    YOU HAVEN't DONE YOUR GCSEs???? Don't about a-levels, you're thinking too far ahead. Right now you need to look at GCSEs as your goal because that is the foundation that you require to propel yourself for taking law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinesICB318)
    YOU HAVEN't DONE YOUR GCSEs???? Don't about a-levels, you're thinking too far ahead. Right now you need to look at GCSEs as your goal because that is the foundation that you require to propel yourself for taking law.
    How does it work at other schools? At mine, we have to decide on our A Level choices not too far away. GCSEs are of course my main priority, however I also have to finalise my A Level choices. I know it's very early, but please don't assume that my school does it the same way as yours.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you're in Year 11 (i.e. starting A-levels this time next year) then yeah, about now is a good time to start thinking about this stuff.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.