Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would like to become a dentist but my gcse grades are bad;
    1A*,6Bs,3Cs...
    Now my question is if i smash my As and A2 would i get into a dentistry course... if not in medicine...?

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs mean nothing as long as you get onto the AS courses you want (and get at least Cs in Maths, English, and Science).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    GCSEs mean nothing as long as you get onto the AS courses you want (and get at least Cs in Maths, English, and Science).

thanks, but the careers guy said i need 5a* to get into medicine so was wondering any one who got in without the A*s?

ReputationRep:
    You can look into medicine with foundation year if you meet their eligibility criteria x
    I only have 1A* and I'm going to be applying this year I'll let you know how it goes
    Oh and btw despite these GCSEs I managed to get AABC at AS level and some of my friends have 5A*+ and still managed to only get Cs Ds and U's so at the end of the day it's all about your effort

And yes I was told the above too /)
    But go for it
    Work hard it pays off

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spiritless98)
    You can look into medicine with foundation year if you meet their eligibility criteria x
    I only have 1A* and I'm going to be applying this year I'll let you know how it goes
    Oh and btw despite these GCSEs I managed to get AABC at AS level and some of my friends have 5A*+ and still managed to only get Cs Ds and U's so at the end of the day it's all about your effort

But go for it
    Work hard it pays off

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OMGGG, that makes me really proudd.. i have been really stressing and i would be helpful if you let me know and goood luck.. i hope you get in its my first year like just started on friday so hopin to work my ass of at AS seeing i wasnt bothered about gcse now regretting it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACockyDreamer)
    1A*,6Bs,3Cs...
    Now my question is if i smash my As and A2 would i get into a dentistry course... if not in medicine...?
    Don't worry about it. Despite what your GCSE teachers told you, no one cares about GCSEs as long as you get Maths and English >=C

ReputationRep:
    yeh i got into as courses; bio,chem,maths,computer science... but apparetnyly medicine or dentistry require 5a+ at gcse but i only got one :///

(Original post by cacra)
    Don't worry about it. Despite what your GCSE teachers told you, no one cares about GCSEs as long as you get Maths and English >=C

ReputationRep:
    OMGGG, that makes me really proudd.. i have been really stressing and i would be helpful if you let me know and goood luck.. i hope you get in its my first year like just started on friday so hopin to work my ass of at AS seeing i wasnt bothered about gcse now regretting it
    Honestly if you put your head to it you'll ace your exams, I started my revision after failing my mocks in January but if you start earlier you'll get AAAA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Honestly if you put your head to it you'll ace your exams, I started my revision after failing my mocks in January but if you start earlier you'll get AAAA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is good advice.

I think Christmas is the ideal time to start revising, but if you think you're going to struggle, there is nothing stopping you from starting now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cacra)
    This is good advice.

I think Christmas is the ideal time to start revising, but if you think you're going to struggle, there is nothing stopping you from starting now.
    For now, I think understanding the content and keeping up with notes is best,
    Hardcore revision should start at Christmas time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is possible because as and a2 are most important, do a lot of extra curricular and show passion, but bear in mind that certain universities ask for a/b/c grades in certain gcses

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have never revised... would you mind giving me tips on how to revise... and if you have notes already made on bio chem maths.. it would be really helpful for me

ReputationRep:
    I have never revised... would you mind giving me tips on how to revise... and if you have notes already made on bio chem maths.. it would be really helpful for me
    Everybody has different ways to revise
    But firstly make notes along the way, I'd give you my notes but the syllabus has changed so there's no point
    Understand, learn, memorise and do practice questions
    And start early
    Go over the same content multiple times and you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    ah

Everybody has different ways to revise
    But firstly make notes along the way, I'd give you my notes but the syllabus has changed so there's no point
    Understand, learn, memorise and do practice questions
    And start early
    Go over the same content multiple times and you'll be fine
    how is the syllabus changed? i have no idea about new spec.... i am so lost....

ReputationRep:
    1A*,6Bs,3Cs...
    omg i got the same exact gcse results as you! :P

ReputationRep:
    ah

how is the syllabus changed? i have no idea about new spec.... i am so lost....
    For the people that are starting there AS this year, they've changed the syllabus and content that you need to know. So it'll be slightly different to previous years

ReputationRep:
    For the people that are starting there AS this year, they've changed the syllabus and content that you need to know. So it'll be slightly different to previous years
    so no past papers :/

ReputationRep:
    1A*,6Bs,3Cs...
    I don't think a reason to do Dentistry is because it was 'easier than medicine to get into, academically'

but you can work hard to get into either.. both are very competitive

ReputationRep:

But go for it
    Work hard it pays off

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hey, did you apply then?

ReputationRep:
    hey, did you apply then?
    Yes and I got two interviews X

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.