Turn on thread page Beta

Do you believe in an afterlife? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been on TSR for a bit now and I've noticed that most people on TSR lie on one of two extremes when it comes to life after death:

Either they 100% believe in life after death or strongly disagree and believe that your very existence ceases to exist.

I'd like to enquire about TSRs views on the afterlife and if anyone actually falls in the middle of the two extremes.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is gonna turn into a debate. I can just sense it.

ReputationRep:
    http://imgur.com/gallery/fRuFd

ReputationRep:
    I'll try to answer your question.

In short: Yes I suppose I fall in the in between.

Long answer:
    -At first glance the after life seems scientifically unlikely. A product of wishful thinking. A coping strategy.
    -Then I look at how complex time & universe is, then I think well maybe there is more to life and the argument than first meets the eye.
    - I look at the example Jesus & people who followed him and think Christianity may be on to something.
    -Then, I think if there is a afterlife what will it be like? I can't imagine it. Why doesn't the bible say more about it? Will it even be good?

I believe in it but God knows I have lots of questions about it.

On a side note: I think it would be more comforting to have no belief in the after life rather than some belief. I feel those who completely reject it can find peace in the idea. Think it becomes very difficult when you're unsure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)
    I've been on TSR for a bit now and I've noticed that most people on TSR lie on one of two extremes when it comes to life after death:

Either they 100% believe in life after death or strongly disagree and believe that your very existence ceases to exist.

I'd like to enquire about TSRs views on the afterlife and if anyone actually falls in the middle of the two extremes.
    Afterlife in the conventional sense? Almost certainly not gonna happen. To quote Sam Harris,

What we’re being asked to consider is that you damage one part of the brain, and something about the mind and subjectivity is lost, you damage another and yet more is lost, [but] you damage the whole thing at death, we can rise off the brain with all our faculties in tact, recognizing grandma and speaking English!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)

I'm not sure that there is any room for a middle ground. An afterlife of any kind requires that the mind/soul/self be inherently separate to the body and does not depend on the body for its existence. Either this is the case, or it is not.

It's not like theology, where an atheist and a theist may agree on the validity of basic physical laws even if they disagree on the causes of those laws.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I look forward to seeing Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy there.

ReputationRep:
    I do but I don't like calling it the "afterlife" because if the soul exists then it's still life, just in a different form.

ReputationRep:
    This is food for thought, right;

I have started to recently think that once people die, they go to a place (nowhere specific) and they get shown footage (almost like BigBrother) of all the lies that people have told to them. Specifically ones that would hurt them, or if they were being a deceitful little ****s!

To me - that sounds like such a horrible scenario to be in... so all the cheaters/backstabbers/liars get outed.

Alongside that - what if we are in an afterlife now and when we die, we just end up in another "dream" - kind of like inception/interstellar.

Also - we are living organisms - what if we are a living organism, for another living organism? Like we are just a structure of living organisms...

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. Ridiculous in fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    Afterlife in the conventional sense? Almost certainly not gonna happen. To quote Sam Harris,
    The bible says that the body you have in this life is left behind and belongs to the earth; your soul belongs with god and that is what will return.

If you die as a young child you will be in heaven but as a developed person.
    In heaven the body you get will not be subject to the laws of this universe such as aging, blindness.

As for evidence, scientific evidence that can prove this;
    Only near death experiences (particuarly of those born blind) is the closest you can get as far as I am aware. Anecdotal of course.

Believing in a religion requires faith. Faith by definition will require an element of belief despite uncertaintity and ambiguity. If the holy scriptures, arguements such as who created the universe etc are to be believed they will need faith.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the dieing is just like switching off a computer camp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I do but I don't like calling it the "afterlife" because if the soul exists then it's still life, just in a different form.
    Considering you are normally fending off the religious please explain.

ReputationRep:
    No. When my life is over, well... I want it to be over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    I'm not sure that there is any room for a middle ground. An afterlife of any kind requires that the mind/soul/self be inherently separate to the body and does not depend on the body for its existence. Either this is the case, or it is not.

It's not like theology, where an atheist and a theist may agree on the validity of basic physical laws even if they disagree on the causes of those laws.
    I think the middle ground is held by those who don't want to think about it or don't think about it.

Of course everyone knows they die, but does everyone really "KNOW!". As in do they that the thought sink into their brain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Considering you are normally fending off the religious please explain.
    I fend off the religious when they say there is empirical, falsifiable evidence for their belief, I have no issue with them believing due to faith. Long story short, it's due to personal gnosis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djj)
    I think the middle ground is held by those who don't want to think about it or don't think about it.

Of course everyone knows they die, but does everyone really "KNOW!". As in do they that the thought sink into their brain.
    For most people no, the thought doesn't sink in until they're in their last moments of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyou)

It's easy to have a strong opinion on something sat safely behind your keyboard in your bedroom.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in one, I see no particular reason for one to exist. I am open to the possibility of some kind of reincarnation perhaps; we don't understand how consciousness works so I am by no means certain it stops at death. Heaven or hell, or a reincarnation based on deeds, seem incredibly unlikely though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I believe in Rainbow Bridge for pets :cry2:
    Name:  Rainbow-Bridge-Poem.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  96.2 KB

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.