The Student Room Group

Do you believe in an afterlife?

Scroll to see replies

There is no time perception after death, no time to be dead. Or consciously recognise the fact that you are dead. So how does one die? Do they simply cease to exist?
Or do we stay frozen in the moment we die? Or...?

Yes I believe that our 'consciousness' is created by our brain. It's pretty freaking complex if you think about it. (Which you probably have) So therefore when your brain dies, your consciousness does too. But actually experiencing death could be very different to how theoretically seems.

What if we can never die, but instead our current consciousness gets merged with another almost identical version of ourselves? The difference being that almost identical version didn't die. Perhaps you've already died? :P What are the chances of death anyway? How likely is it that we're still here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oceansandpearls
There is no time perception after death, no time to be dead. Or consciously recognise the fact that you are dead. So how does one die? Do they simply cease to exist?
Or do we stay frozen in the moment we die? Or...?

Yes I believe that our 'consciousness' is created by our brain. It's pretty freaking complex if you think about it. (Which you probably have) So therefore when your brain dies, your consciousness does too. But actually experiencing death could be very different to how theoretically seems.

What if we can never die, but instead our current consciousness gets merged with another almost identical version of ourselves? The difference being that almost identical version didn't die. Perhaps you've already died? :P What are the chances of death anyway? How likely is it that we're still here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The world is a confusing place. If the block model of time is true, then past and future are only illusions and all events are occurring now. That means we're already old, dead, still babies etc :lol:
I believe in heaven and hell,so yeah.
I'd like to think so- how depressing would it be if death is the very end of existence? :frown:
Original post by quentinhamilton
I'd like to think so- how depressing would it be if death is the very end of existence? :frown:

How depressing would it be if you then have to spend all eternity doing nothing but sitting on a cloud singing praises with the angels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arbolus
How depressing would it be if you then have to spend all eternity doing nothing but sitting on a cloud singing praises with the angels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha at least it's something rather than disappearance.
Original post by Arbolus

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too true. As a churchgoer, I'd get bored of singing the hymns after a couple of minutes, so I can't even imagine eternity :sigh:

I'd probably start trying to distract and pester the angels just to keep myself somewhat entertained...
Original post by quentinhamilton
Haha at least it's something rather than disappearance.

Each to their own, but for myself I can think of nothing worse. Oblivion is far preferable to the prospect of infinite monotony.
Absolutely from what I've seen after watching.

Ghost Adventures and Paranormal Witness.

Sorry but there is ABSOLUTELY no doubt in my mind that there is something else out there.
No, I don't. I think that people believe in the afterlife to make themselves less scared of death - people can't stand the possibility of life ending after death and there being simply nothing after they've perished so hold onto the fantasy of a glorious afterlife. Each to their own though :smile:
Nope.
I believe in the afterlife. Heaven and hell. I don't read the Bible anymore, pray, or attend church but that is one thing I believe in. Its not a strong feeling but just somethin' I believe is true. But i don't think of my life ending anytime soon so I don't think about it that much. I don't actually believe in reincarnation but I do use references of it in expressions.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think afterlife does exists. There is a reason to life.
Reply 53
yes I do and even without religion, afterlife makes sense.

Physical law is complete and full in this life, for example someone jumps off a cliff and is likely to die, someone eats poison and is most likely to die etc.

Moral law, however, is incomplete in this world, a person lies and nothing happens to his tongue, someone makes money through fraud/scam yet nothing happens to him when he eats food from the same money, etc.

The incompleteness of moral law points towards another life where it will be completed and justice will be served.
Original post by saalih
y
The incompleteness of moral law points towards another life where it will be completed and justice will be served.

That doesnt make any sense at all.
Reply 55
Original post by Farm_Ecology
That doesnt make any sense at all.

it makes perfect sense for me, when we see oppressors getting away with whatever they do and not get punished, we wonder why justice is not being done? This points to the afterlife where the moral law will be full and justice will be served.
Original post by saalih
it makes perfect sense for me, when we see oppressors getting away with whatever they do and not get punished, we wonder why justice is not being done? This points to the afterlife where the moral law will be full and justice will be served.

or perhaps the universe just doesn't feel obliged to take revenge for us

perhaps it doesn't feel at all
Original post by saalih

That implies some kind of abstract law that conforms to your perceptions.
Original post by saalih

And that's a compelling argument for why early humans invented the idea of an afterlife, to console themselves that justice will be served when all too often life shows that it isn't. It isn't an argument for the reality of an afterlife.
Reply 59
Original post by Implication
or perhaps the universe just doesn't feel obliged to take revenge for us

perhaps it doesn't feel at all

maybe but the thing is the universe did not create us, the universe by itself cannot do anything......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending