The Student Room Group

English Language 'Conjunctives'

What is a 'conjunctive'? I have searched the internet and i have seen conjunctive adverbs, conjunctions etc. However, i don't understand what the term 'conjunctives' means and what some examples are.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by gcse.1998
What is a 'conjunctive'? I have searched the internet and i have seen conjunctive adverbs, conjunctions etc. However, i don't understand what the term 'conjunctives' means and what some examples are.

I think the reason you might be confused is that 'conjunctive' is not a noun. The word when used on its own is a 'conjunction', which basically means a joining word like and, but, since, etc. So there is no such thing as simply 'a conjunctive'. It has to have something after it.

A conjunctive adverb is a type of conjunction. I've found this website which I think explains quite well what a conjunctive adverb does:

http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/conjunctiveadverb.htm

Think of a conjunction as the main thing, which I defined above. You might get a conjunctive-something-else (e.g. conjunctive adverb), but this is a subcategory of a conjunction.

[PS willing to be corrected by anyone who disagrees with this, this is just my understanding].

Quick Reply

Latest