Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am a mature student and I have been given the opportunity to live in the halls at the university I am going to because somebody else has dropped out. As I was originally looking at private accommodation I am wondering if living in halls would be the right thing to do. I can see that there are a lot of pluses to living in halls such as living close to the where you are being taught, not having to travel and not having to think about bills but I also like the idea of being independent and having a life outside of the university. I also wonder if it would be noisy because there is a bar and a nightclub on the campus.

ReputationRep:
    There was a thread on here recently about mature students living in halls. Worth you searching for it and having a read.

My twopence worth: I'm starting uni this month and I decided a few months ago that if I went into halls there was too big a risk I'd end up unhappy. Yes, I might've ended up in a quiet block and met like-minded people, but if I'd ended up living among a bunch of noisy, messy idiots whose idea of fun is drunkenly running around in their pants screaming their heads off and cherry knocking on the doors of their sleeping neighbours at three in the morning, I think I'd have lost my mind.

As it is, I used the Spare Rooms website to look privately. I had a massive disappointment with my first set of viewings (a set of grotty houses), but I soon found some much nicer options. In the end, I've gone for a place that's only 10 mins walk from my uni. My housemates are PhD students, so it should be a nice environment to crack on with the studying. Admittedly, I don't have an ensuite bathroom in my room, but then the ensuite options in halls were pretty expensive anyway. Another thing that put me off - I didn't think the rooms in halls were really worth the money. However, ymmv.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zx124)
    Hi,
    I am a mature student and I have been given the opportunity to live in the halls at the university I am going to because somebody else has dropped out. As I was originally looking at private accommodation I am wondering if living in halls would be the right thing to do. I can see that there are a lot of pluses to living in halls such as living close to the where you are being taught, not having to travel and not having to think about bills but I also like the idea of being independent and having a life outside of the university. I also wonder if it would be noisy because there is a bar and a nightclub on the campus.
    Halls can be noisy yes, depending on the people living in them. Some unis do have quiet blocks and or blocks reserved for mature students but you can't guarentee all students in them will be quiet.

ReputationRep:
    i did it mainly cos i couldnt be arse to make a 600 mile round trip to check out accom. i don't regret living in halls for a year; i was with other mature students who were mainly great, and living in is kinda part of the whole uni experience

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.