Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just started year 12 and at first I had chosen biology, french, psychology and chemistry but changed my mind and decided to drop chemistry and just stick with 3 subjects as I will be able to focus on them more and will hopefully do better in the long run. I was wondering if universities' offers are often based on UCAS points instead of grades because doing another subject to AS level would give me more points (I would probably choose to do sociology). I'll also add that I plan to do the EPQ in year 13 which offers the same amount of UCAS points as an AS level.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do 4 if you can cope with them because if you do 3 and then something goes wrong then you won't have that back-up that will progress you into the second year.

If you want to do 3 then that's fine.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by _sillygoose)
    I have just started year 12 and at first I had chosen biology, french, psychology and chemistry but changed my mind and decided to drop chemistry and just stick with 3 subjects as I will be able to focus on them more and will hopefully do better in the long run. I was wondering if universities' offers are often based on UCAS points instead of grades because doing another subject to AS level would give me more points (I would probably choose to do sociology). I'll also add that I plan to do the EPQ in year 13 which offers the same amount of UCAS points as an AS level.
    As far as I'm aware, the only university you have to have 4 AS levels for is UCL but I still recommend doing 4 AS subjects if you can, because it means you're able to drop a subject if it doesn't go well. If you only take 3, you have to take all of them to A2 even if something goes wrong. In terms of offers, it depends what kind of university you're applying to. The kind of universities that are generally at the top of the league tables tend to only use grades in their offers, universities lower down often use UCAS points (but often they only count points from A2s so an extra AS wouldn't be relevant). An EPQ is definitely worth doing but please bear in mind that whilst most universities will be happy to see it on your application form, it will never be included as part of your offer because it's not really seen as an AS equivalent (the only exception is that a couple of universities sometimes give lower alternative offers if you get a certain grade in your EPQ, but this only applies to a couple).

ReputationRep:
    When I did year 12 I knew a few people that dropped down to 3 subjects early in the year because they hated one of their options. I don't think it affected their applications because they did well overall. Most universities do grades rather than UCAS points, but there are a few. If you're doing EPQ the it should even out the UCAS points. It did mean that they had no choice at the end of the year, which I think a few of them regretted.
    What I did, like you're considering, is switching to a different subject. I switched from Chemistry to English Language and it was a good decision as I ended up taking English Language in Year 13. Do it quickly so you don't miss much course content and you'll find it easy to catch up.

ReputationRep:
    This year is probably the best to do 3 A-levels university wise because the schools which are not doing AS exams are making their students take 3 subjects only (or at least the majority of which I've read about).

So honestly it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _sillygoose)
    I'd do 4 so you can have one AS

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.