Turn on thread page Beta

Do people seriously think Corbyn can win the general election? watch

ReputationRep:
    For all those who support Corbyn,do you think he can win the general election ?I cant see how a guy like him can win over the country ?

ReputationRep:
    Too early to tell.
    Let's give it a year or at least until after the local, Scottish and mayoral elections.

But I do think he has the best chance of any of those who stood to win the general election.

People are becoming increasingly angry at establishment politics as it is hence the massive rise of SNP, Greens and UKIP - If Corbyn can tap into that he's onto a winner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Too early to tell.
    Let's give it a year or at least until after the local, Scottish and mayoral elections.

But I do think he has the best chance of any of those who stood to win the general election.

People are becoming increasingly angry at establishment politics as it is hence the massive rise of SNP, Greens and UKIP - If Corbyn can tap into that he's onto a winner.
    Good article on the Telegraph website today

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...my-Corbyn.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Good article on the Telegraph website today

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...my-Corbyn.html
    That was a surprisingly good and balanced article from the Telegraph.
    Labour as a party were in a slump, from Blair-Brown-Milliband , enthusiasm was going. They needed a rocket and that they certainly have now. Corbyn will re energise both his supporters and the 'modernizers' who may oppose him but the Labour party has come alive again.

I really do believe the political landscape is changing and there is a clear growing resentment for establishment, 'centre ground' politics. That's why so many flocked to UKIP (Opposition to immigration in my opinion is a symptom not a cause of UKIP's rise). As well as that the SNP triumphed and Greens did well.

Now we've seen the energy and enthusiasm behind Corbyn.

Can he win a General Election? I don't know but i'm very excited to see what happens to politics now and the 'establishment' will not be allowed to be so complacent again.

Complacency and pessimism is what saw the death of New Labour and they should learn from that. New Labour went from offering fresh solutions and progressive politics into offering tory lite policies. Rather then make a stand on issues such as immigration and benefits and the corporate elites, they conceded to the tories and right wing press.

So the tories should be cautious, write off Corbyn at your own peril. Dismiss it all you want but something very real is happening.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If people enough vote for labour in the right constitiencies then he can win just like the conservitives can if people do the same for them

ReputationRep:
    Of course deluded leftists believe he can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    If people enough vote for labour in the right constitiencies then he can win just like the conservitives can if people do the same for them
    So can the Monster Raving Loonies on that analysis.

The problem he has is finding groups of people to switch from any other party or abstention.

It already looks like his supporters are settling into the comforting but erroneous belief that the gap between Labour and the Tories can be bridged by engaging non-voters. UKIP was going to do that as well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So can the Monster Raving Loonies on that analysis.

The problem he has is finding groups of people to switch from any other party or abstention.

It already looks like his supporters are settling into the comforting but erroneous belief that the gap between Labour and the Tories can be bridged by engaging non-voters. UKIP was going to do that as well.
    they couldn't really tho bc they are a small party and bc we don't have proportional representation. Labour however is one of the 2 major uk political parties so theoretically if enough ppl voted labour then labour would get in. If the same amount voted 4 labour and the same amount voted 4 MRL then labour would still get in bc they are the bigger party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    they couldn't really tho bc they are a small party and bc we don't have proportional representation. Labour however is one of the 2 major uk political parties so theoretically if enough ppl voted labour then labour would get in. If the same amount voted 4 labour and the same amount voted 4 MRL then labour would still get in bc they are the bigger party.
    No that isn't true at all. The number of seats is due to two factors; the number of votes and where they are. Although the DUP does not publish its membership figures, it is thought to be about 1100 which is about 300 fewer than MRL.Yet the DUP has 8 MPs because its 184K votes are all concentrated in 18 seats in which it enjoys substantial support.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No that isn't true at all. The number of seats is due to two factors; the number of votes and where they are. Although the DUP does not publish its membership figures, it is thought to be about 1100 which is about 300 fewer than MRL.Yet the DUP has 8 MPs because its 184K votes are all concentrated in 18 seats in which it enjoys substantial support.
    Oh ok thank u 4 correcting me, i just assumed from what i have heard but i am still learning about the political system (doing it RN in history Alevel). Thanks

ReputationRep:
    In a fair world, yes he could. In a world of neoliberalism whereby certain people have control of the media, not a chance. His character will be assassinated by the media, on a scale much worse than Miliband's was, and once he steps down a puppet will rise up, somebody like Umunna or Kendall, and they'll then lead the neoliberal Labour Party and service will resume as normal. Asking if Corbyn can win is like asking, 'Will neoliberalism in the UK end?' - What do you think the answer to that question is? I will be surprised if Corbyn makes it to the election to be honest as the media vultures will be vying for him at every turn, ready for him to slip up so they can pounce and try to get rid of him.

ReputationRep:
    Too early to tell.

You want Corbyn to 'tap' into the rising support of UKIP? Best of luck my friend.

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the state of immigration and the migrant crisis I do not see how a man who wants open door migration will tap into these minds. Immigration is number one priority for the electorate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WRayner)
    You want Corbyn to 'tap' into the rising support of UKIP? Best of luck my friend.
    Cheers.

Many UKIP supporters are ex-labour.

ReputationRep:
    Always expect the unexpected in politics, how many people thought that Cameron would win a majority? Exactly.

Is it just me or would anyone else would liked to in be the same room as Blair to see his reaction?!

ReputationRep:
    Depends

1. Do the sheeple like remaining slaves to their masters
    2. Can the public think for themselves and see past the corporate media

Corbyn is the only hope for the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers.

Many UKIP supporters are ex-labour.
    Yes yes, they got fed up of the left wing policies under Labour and fled to the right. Not the other way round ahah.

ReputationRep:
    Too early to tell.

UKIP represents LITERALLY the opposite of what Jeremy Corbyn represents. To your other point, the publics opposition to immigration predates UKIPs rise. There has been an opposition to immigration for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it's possible, if you look at his actualy policies like renationalising railways, like increasing the top rate of tax, like rent control on landlords, there is actually already a lot of widespread public support. What he says is actually in tune to what a lot of the public agree with - let's not forget that Tory's only had 24% of the public voting for them.

Furthermore I think there is something very different about Corbyn. When he speaks to people, he doesn't sound scripted, he sounds like he genuinely believes what he is saying. For a politician, he doesn't sound 'politiciany' so to speak, he just seems like a normal person who genuinely wants the best for the country.

I accept some will genuinely disagree with his policies - those are the people who have probably voted Tory their whole life. I think for those that change who they vote for occationally, they will agree with at least some of his policies. I think the biggest reason why many won't for him is because of Tory scare tactics. I guarantee we will be hearing stuff like 'threat to national security', 'economically illeterate', ect, ect, all the way up to the election. Most of these statements will be totally unfounded and based on statements that are taken out of context.

If Corbyn's campaign can steer the media narative away from this politics of fear then I recon he will stand a real chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WRayner)
    Yes yes, they got fed up of the left wing policies under Labour and fled to the right. Not the other way round ahah.
    They didn't. Most people don't think in terms of right v left. It was a growing resentment of the establishment which pushed them to UKIP.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.