Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    During my AS exams this year, there were times when i started to panic during the exam and start worrying a lot about it. Especially during my maths exams, I found some questions difficult and it meant I forgot a lot and lost a lot of time meaning that I couldn't finish. I was predicted to get a high A but ended up with a B because of the exam stress. I did a lot of work for the exams and I knew my stuff but the panicking came when I didn't get a question.

How can I deal with exam stress during exams so I don't fall into this trap again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chandmeister)
    During my AS exams this year, there were times when i started to panic during the exam and start worrying a lot about it. Especially during my maths exams, I found some questions difficult and it meant I forgot a lot and lost a lot of time meaning that I couldn't finish. I was predicted to get a high A but ended up with a B because of the exam stress. I did a lot of work for the exams and I knew my stuff but the panicking came when I didn't get a question.

How can I deal with exam stress during exams so I don't fall into this trap again?
    Hi,

During an exam, if you come across a question which you aren't sure of the answer to, remember to take deep breaths, and have a drink of water (if you can), to help stay calm. Also, a good tip which I used in my A Level exams was to tell myself 'don't get stuck, move on'. Which basically meant that whenever I came to a question I couldn't do, I simply moved on to the next one, and went back to the tricky questions at the end if I had time. This way, I wouldn't waste time not being able to answer a question, and it also meant that I didn't give myself time to start worrying as I had to focus on the other questions instead.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chandmeister)

This happened to me in C1, what I did after that exam in C2 was whenever I saw a question which looked like I didn't really understand it I didn't even bother thinking about it or properly reading the question. I put a mark next to it and moved on to the next question. Then at the end of the paper I went back to the 3-4 questions I put a mark next to and had a go at completing them, I left a large blank space in the space provided when I skipped these questions. By doing this it meant that I didn't go on 'tilt' after thinking too hard about a question and getting myself worked up when I couldn't remember the method right away.

I had much greater success in my C2 exam after using this method and I felt extremely calm and relaxed in the exam whereas in the C1 exam when I read a question which I couldn't answer right away I started thinking I'm going to fail. When in actual fact I just had to put a mark next to it instead of thinking too hard on it, this had a better psychological effect when I was doing the other papers.

Hope this helps, i got a C in C1, B in C2 and an E in M1. This was due to the fact about getting worked up and thinking about the future when in the C1 exam when I should have been focussed on answering the questoin and nothing else, in M1 I just didn't revise that much lol. I got a C overall so i'm gonna resit all 3 of them this year since I need an A overall in Maths to get into my course. Best of luck to you.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.