Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I move to uni in a week and currently with NatWest bank which can give me a free 4 year National Express Coachcard but I am also possibly switching to Santander bank which can give me a free 4 year National Railway Railcard. Shall I stay with NatWest or switch to Santander, both student accounts. I'm not bothered about the other aspects of the student accounts, it's mostly for the freebie but which will be the better freebie? Both give 1/3 off either coach or trains.

I looked up the price of travel with both and in general the coach travel is cheaper but slightly longer journey (by about 15-20 mins) with stopping points being a bit restricted so I don't know if the railcard will be more flexible where train stations are more often etc and I can go to any train station. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Do you prefer travelling by rail or by coach?

ReputationRep:
    The coachcard would cost a tenner a year, the railcard £26 - might be worth bearing this in mind
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    What do you use more of?

ReputationRep:
    A 16-25/Student Railcard gives a 33% discount off the price of Advanced Purchase First Class travel tickets. These are usually pretty cheap anyway and can often be purchased online a day or two before you plan to travel. So sit back in your wide, comfortable reclining seat and enjoy the free food and complimentary unlimited alcohol which is served to all First Class passengers making long journeys with Virgin Trains East Coast or West Coast! Your Discount Railcard could easily pay for itself in a single train journey!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.