Anyone else wish they were born in 1660?

Watch
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So does anything else wish they were born in a different time? With different morality, laws and political system to the one we currently live in. Everything just seem so obviously immoral to me these days and I can't stand it.
RobML
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by william walker)
So does anything else wish they were born in a different time? With different morality, laws and political system to the one we currently live in. Everything just seem so obviously immoral to me these days and I can't stand it.
It's only more immoral now than then if you have particularly odd ideas of morality...
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
Look at the bright side: liking Hilrho isn't immoral
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not at all. No vote if you are a woman or live in many towns, life expectancy low, actually a dictator for much of the previous decade before my birth, and the burning of witches.

Not even the most diehard UKIP supporters want to return that far back.
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by RobML)
It's only more immoral now than then if you have particularly odd ideas of morality...
Morality comes from religious text and an is enforced by an institutions. So there is no "old ideas" of morality. Just moral actions and immoral ones.
TheGreatImposter
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well only 6 years later, there was the great fire of london...

Posted from TSR Mobile
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
Look at the bright side: liking Hilrho isn't immoral
Yeah but who do I like her? Because she is moral.
RobML
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Morality comes from religious text and an is enforced by an institutions. So there is no "old ideas" of morality. Just moral actions and immoral ones.
You're very dogmatic :lol:
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
Not at all. No vote if you are a woman or live in many towns, life expectancy low, actually a dictator for much of the previous decade before my birth, and the burning of witches.

Not even the most diehard UKIP supporters want to return that far back.
You must prepare yourself for death and not life, if you want to live a moral life. So dying young doesn't bother me. No vote if you weren't a Protestant land owner also. They were the only people who could vote. Yeah but the dictator was done away with by Restoration. The burning of witches is comparable to the 180,000 abortions in Britain last year and destruction of them family?
RobML
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The burning of witches is comparable to the 180,000 abortions in Britain last year and destruction of them family?
Oh dear
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 5 years ago
I can see why you can't stand it. If you truly believe what you said in the second post quoted, then you're unlikely to be pleased living in an individualistic world. It must be so painful not being able to shove your morality down everybody else's throats.

As for me? I'm happy to be living in the present time, whatever my problems. It's far more enlightened and freer than 1660. Not to mention a much higher standard of living for even the poorest people.
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by RobML)
Oh dear
Indeed.
EllainKahlo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As a black, female who is a part of the LGBT community - hell no.
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by RobML)
You're very dogmatic :lol:
Yep.
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by EllainKahlo)
As a black, female who is a part of the LGBT community - hell no.
Fair enough. The LGBT thing you would likely have been hung if your were found out. Not so bad if your were black or a woman. In many way better.
EllainKahlo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fair enough. The LGBT thing you would likely have been hung if your were found out. Not so bad if your were black or a woman. In many way better.
I hope you're joking because that is absolutely not true, especially in the western countries.
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 5 years ago
How'd you figure that out? Being disenfranchised and most likely enslaved isn't 'not so bad.'
vis break
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EllainKahlo)
I hope you're joking because that is absolutely not true, especially in the western countries.
are you clapped? in 1660 youd get jooked for being an LGBTBBQ

plus bare of my black dons were sold to slavery
EllainKahlo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by vis break)

That's why I said no, very clearly. Are you blind?
K.C
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by vis break)

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.53%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.72%

Watched Threads