The Student Room Group

Anyone else wish they were born in 1660?

So does anything else wish they were born in a different time? With different morality, laws and political system to the one we currently live in. Everything just seem so obviously immoral to me these days and I can't stand it. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by william walker
So does anything else wish they were born in a different time? With different morality, laws and political system to the one we currently live in. Everything just seem so obviously immoral to me these days and I can't stand it. :frown:

It's only more immoral now than then if you have particularly odd ideas of morality...
Reply 2

Look at the bright side: liking Hilrho isn't immoral :colondollar:
Not at all. No vote if you are a woman or live in many towns, life expectancy low, actually a dictator for much of the previous decade before my birth, and the burning of witches.

Not even the most diehard UKIP supporters want to return that far back.
Original post by RobML
It's only more immoral now than then if you have particularly odd ideas of morality...

Morality comes from religious text and an is enforced by an institutions. So there is no "old ideas" of morality. Just moral actions and immoral ones.
Well only 6 years later, there was the great fire of london...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kkboyk
Look at the bright side: liking Hilrho isn't immoral :colondollar:

Yeah but who do I like her? Because she is moral.
Reply 7
Morality comes from religious text and an is enforced by an institutions. So there is no "old ideas" of morality. Just moral actions and immoral ones.

You're very dogmatic :lol:
Original post by barnetlad
Not at all. No vote if you are a woman or live in many towns, life expectancy low, actually a dictator for much of the previous decade before my birth, and the burning of witches.

Not even the most diehard UKIP supporters want to return that far back.

You must prepare yourself for death and not life, if you want to live a moral life. So dying young doesn't bother me. No vote if you weren't a Protestant land owner also. They were the only people who could vote. Yeah but the dictator was done away with by Restoration. The burning of witches is comparable to the 180,000 abortions in Britain last year and destruction of them family?
Reply 9
The burning of witches is comparable to the 180,000 abortions in Britain last year and destruction of them family?

Oh dear

I can see why you can't stand it. If you truly believe what you said in the second post quoted, then you're unlikely to be pleased living in an individualistic world. It must be so painful not being able to shove your morality down everybody else's throats.

As for me? I'm happy to be living in the present time, whatever my problems. It's far more enlightened and freer than 1660. Not to mention a much higher standard of living for even the poorest people. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RobML
Oh dear

Indeed.
As a black, female who is a part of the LGBT community - hell no.
Original post by RobML
You're very dogmatic :lol:

Yep.
Original post by EllainKahlo
As a black, female who is a part of the LGBT community - hell no.

Fair enough. The LGBT thing you would likely have been hung if your were found out. Not so bad if your were black or a woman. In many way better.
Fair enough. The LGBT thing you would likely have been hung if your were found out. Not so bad if your were black or a woman. In many way better.

I hope you're joking because that is absolutely not true, especially in the western countries.

How'd you figure that out? :tongue: Being disenfranchised and most likely enslaved isn't 'not so bad.'
Original post by EllainKahlo
I hope you're joking because that is absolutely not true, especially in the western countries.

are you clapped? in 1660 youd get jooked for being an LGBTBBQ

plus bare of my black dons were sold to slavery
Original post by vis break

That's why I said no, very clearly. Are you blind?
Reply 19
Original post by vis break

Quick Reply