Preparation of benzoic acid by hydrolysis of ethyl benzoate

Watch
Pheonixfeather3
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What's the equation for the preparation of benzoic acid by hydrolysis of ethyl benzoate? Thanks
Laurasaur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pheonixfeather3)
What's the equation for the preparation of benzoic acid by hydrolysis of ethyl benzoate? Thanks
If you want benzoic acid, you'll want to use acid hydrolysis with either dilute HCl or dilute H2SO4. You'll end up making benzoic acid and ethanol.

If this helps, try to write the balanced equation for it.
Pheonixfeather3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laurasaur)
If you want benzoic acid, you'll want to use acid hydrolysis with either dilute HCl or dilute H2SO4. You'll end up making benzoic acid and ethanol.

If this helps, try to write the balanced equation for it.
I used HCl, I have most of my report written but can't for the life of me figure out the balanced equation.
Laurasaur
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I used HCl, I have most of my report written but can't for the life of me figure out the balanced equation.
The key word is 'dilute' HCl, which means that there is another more important molecule involved

The H+ from HCl acts as a catalyst.
Pheonixfeather3
Rep:
?
The key word is 'dilute' HCl, which means that there is another more important molecule involved
C9H10O2+ NaOH + HCl - C7H6O2 + NaCl + H2O
that's what I've managed to get so far, and I've genuinely spent about an hour trying to balance it. Is it balancable?
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
that's what I've managed to get so far, and I've genuinely spent about an hour trying to balance it. Is it balancable?
You end up with a bit of a mess if you add NaOH. The NaOH will react with HCl to produce NaCl and H2O in preference to ethyl benzoate.
Laurasaur
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What level are you, A level? If so, which exam board? Just for reference so I know what kind of answer to give you.

You seem to have lost 2 carbon atoms somewhere, make sure you add in the ethanol to the products.
Pheonixfeather3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maker)
You end up with sodium chloride and ethyl benzoate and water.
Wait... how do I end up with ethyl benzoate if the reaction gave me benzoic acid crystals?
Pheonixfeather3
Rep:
?
What level are you, A level? If so, which exam board? Just for reference so I know what kind of answer to give you.

You seem to have lost 2 carbon atoms somewhere, make sure you add in the ethanol to the products.
SQA advanced higher, so equivalent to second year of a level
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wait... how do I end up with ethyl benzoate if the reaction gave me benzoic acid crystals?
Are you sure its not NaCl crystals you have instead or as well as benzoic acid or sodium benzoate? NaOH will react more with HCl than ethyl benzoate.

Do a melting point test to see what you have.
Laurasaur
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
SQA advanced higher, so equivalent to second year of a level
Okay! I'd say the NaOH and HCl react to form NaCl and, importantly, H2O. It is the H2O that then reacts with the ester, breaking it up into a carboxylic acid and an alcohol. try that. Ester + water -> alcohol + carboxylic acid.

Then try to incorporate the NaOH and HCl, remembering that the water produced has been used up in the alcohol and carboxylic acid. So you won't need to write H2O on the right hand side.
Pheonixfeather3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maker)
Are you sure its not NaCl crystals you have instead or as well as benzoic acid or sodium benzoate? NaOH will react more with HCl than ethyl benzoate.

Do a melting point test to see what you have.
Done the melting point, got benzoic acid. The experiment is for benzoic acid.

Okay! I'd say the NaOH and HCl react to form NaCl and, importantly, H2O. It is the H2O that then reacts with the ester, breaking it up into a carboxylic acid and an alcohol. try that. Ester + water -> alcohol + carboxylic acid.
Oh my god thank you!
Laurasaur
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh my god thank you!
No problem, took me a while to figure that out too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (143)
30.3%
No (329)
69.7%

Watched Threads