Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can you get the arm implanted removed and have the merina coil (IUD) inserted on the same day? Also, how long do you need to wait after the IUD is inserted before you can have sex again?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware there is the type which contains hormones, and the type which doesn't. I think one of these might be called an IUS, or perhaps an IUS is a type of IUD, I get confused with the names. Anyway, as far as I can see, there is no reason why you couldn't get the non-hormonal one inserted on the same day as having the implant removed.

The only problem I see is with appointment times, depending on the centre you go to - they may want to do these on separate appointments. Also, you have to get checked before you get an IUD, which makes it more likely that you will need two separate appointments.

In short - in theory you can get them on the same day, logistically it might not be possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:);[url="tel:59322885")
    59322885[/url]]As far as I'm aware there is the type which contains hormones, and the type which doesn't. I think one of these might be called an IUS, or perhaps an IUS is a type of IUD, I get confused with the names. Anyway, as far as I can see, there is no reason why you couldn't get the non-hormonal one inserted on the same day as having the implant removed.

The only problem I see is with appointment times, depending on the centre you go to - they may want to do these on separate appointments. Also, you have to get checked before you get an IUD, which makes it more likely that you will need two separate appointments.

In short - in theory you can get them on the same day, logistically it might not be possible.
    Thank you, haha. I'm still new to sex. My boyfriend and me were both virgins until June this year when we had sex for the first time. He has been in China for three paths as he is Chinese, he is returning September 19th and I'm spending four days with him from September 24th.

We have both been checked before and after sex even though we were virgins just to be safe (we used condoms) and we agreed while he was away I can get contraception to see how my body handles it over the next three weeks. I've had the arm implant for 2 months and really don't think my body is liking it, he wasn't 100% happy about me getting that either as it was hormone injection, I'm looking at getting the non hormone one.

But, we haven't seen each other for 3 months and are planning for when we meet, I would like to get the coil ASAP but I need to know how long I need to waits free the coil is inserted to have sex without a condom (please don't judge me for saying that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemAllen9)
    Thank you, haha. I'm still new to sex. My boyfriend and me were both virgins until June this year when we had sex for the first time. He has been in China for three paths as he is Chinese, he is returning September 19th and I'm spending four days with him from September 24th.

We have both been checked before and after sex even though we were virgins just to be safe (we used condoms) and we agreed while he was away I can get contraception to see how my body handles it over the next three weeks. I've had the arm implant for 2 months and really don't think my body is liking it, he wasn't 100% happy about me getting that either as it was hormone injection, I'm looking at getting the non hormone one.

But, we haven't seen each other for 3 months and are planning for when we meet, I would like to get the coil ASAP but I need to know how long I need to waits free the coil is inserted to have sex without a condom (please don't judge me for saying that)
    Well, you could always use condoms? On NHS though, it says that an IUD works as soon as it is inserted, so I'm guessing you wouldn't have to wait any time. I'd phone your GP, or clinic, whoever you saw to get your implant, and ask them about the possibility of changing.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contrac.../iud-coil.aspx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.