Turn on thread page Beta

Which references did you use for your teaching application? watch

    • Thread Starter

    So I'm kind of in a sticky situation.

    On the UCAS website it says that I need to provide an academic referee and then a professional referee.

    Academic should be straight forward enough, but I'm having a problem with the professional.

    It says this on the UCAS website:

    If you’re providing a reference from a school where you have been employed or have done classroom observation, it should come from the headteacher.

    The school experience which I have done was organised through the head of department in one school, and in another school organised through the deputy headteacher

    Would using the deputy headteacher be acceptable instead of the very headteacher? It's a large school and I never got to meet the headteacher

    I didn't use the headteacher or the deputy for my application, I used the class teacher that I directly worked with and it got me on a PGCE so I don't see it being a problem if you use the deputy

    TBH I don't understand why the reference should come from the Head of School, even though that's what both UCAS and many jobs ask for. In most cases, you probably don't have much interaction with the Head, and the Head doesn't really observe your lessons or anything. But I think the idea is that the Head doesn't worry about offending you, you cannot pick and choose a better reference from a friend, and the Head can just ask other, and possibly more members of staff for opinion.
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.