Maintenance Grants, who gets them?

Watch
AnonymousLad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Edit: Solved

Hi there, hoping this is 100% the right place to post.

I was hoping someone could tell me whether maintenance grants are only for higher education students (or age 24+ students studying a course that can be extended to a degree in college?)

My mom qualified for a maintenance grant, as she has started college this year and she is obviously 24+, and studying a course at college, i'm not sure what level it is, if that plays a part to whether you get a grant or not.

I was wondering whether I would also qualify for it, or if it was only for certain students of a certain level?

I'm 18 and studying a BTEC L2 course for 1 year, same college, same financial situation, pretty much same everything except the different courses and different ages.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AnonymousLad)
Hi there, hoping this is 100% the right place to post.

I was hoping someone could tell me whether maintenance grants are only for higher education students (or age 24+ students studying a course that can be extended to a degree in college?)

My mom qualified for a maintenance grant, as she has started college this year and she is obviously 24+, and studying a course at college, i'm not sure what level it is, if that plays a part to whether you get a grant or not.

I was wondering whether I would also qualify for it, or if it was only for certain students of a certain level?

I'm 18 and studying a BTEC L2 course for 1 year, same college, same financial situation, pretty much same everything except the different courses and different ages.
maintenance grants are for students studying for a higher education qualification, so a foundation degree, HNC, HND, degree. There is no minimum age.

I think what you are confusing it with is the 24+ advanced learning loan- some colleges offer grants to students eligible for this loan- as the name suggests you have to be 24 and be taking a level 3 or 4 course such as A-Levels. As you are doing a level 2 course you won't qualify.
AnonymousLad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
maintenance grants are for students studying for a higher education qualification, so a foundation degree, HNC, HND, degree. There is no minimum age.

I think what you are confusing it with is the 24+ advanced learning loan- some colleges offer grants to students eligible for this loan- as the name suggests you have to be 24 and be taking a level 3 or 4 course such as A-Levels. As you are doing a level 2 course you won't qualify.
Was probably a grant from the college then, as I know it's not a loan cause those have to be payed back.

Oh well, shame I don't qualify, when I do i'll get the lovely maintenance loan instead of the grant. But I guess i'll get a qualification from those loans so it's okay haha.

Thanks for clearing it up for me, I wish the gov website would be more specific on who/what qualifies for what, but I guess they only get into the details when you actually apply for it or something.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AnonymousLad)
Was probably a grant from the college then, as I know it's not a loan cause those have to be payed back.

Oh well, shame I don't qualify, when I do i'll get the lovely maintenance loan instead of the grant. But I guess i'll get a qualification from those loans so it's okay haha.

Thanks for clearing it up for me, I wish the gov website would be more specific on who/what qualifies for what, but I guess they only get into the details when you actually apply for it or something.
I found all of the above information on the .gov website
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

24+ learning loan
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learning-loans/eligibility
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (338)
83.66%
No (66)
16.34%

Watched Threads