Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OCR MEI Mechanics 1 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find it? I thought that it wasn't too bad but I felt that I had to rush to finish it.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was definitely harder than some of the past papers I'd done. I usually finish in plenty of time in exams but only just finished this one.

Can you remember what you got for a and b in the last question?
    I got -4 and 52. Don't know if it's right though...............

ReputationRep:
    you must be kidding guys... that was definately the most difficult m1 exam there ever was!

---------

I believe that's the most difficult m1 exam i've ever seen, just like jan 01. I thought i was gonna get an A easily... now i only hope i'll get 35-40 out of 60,

I was so angry with examiners i've stolen m1 paper,

Damn, i can't believe it's so tough....

Q1.

The particle is 2kg, going up the slope.

i) by using newtons second low show that acc= -49/13.

Why couldn't they just said find F using second low...

Anyways the answer was a=f/m=2gsin22/2

ii) find speed of the particle at B. u=25ms. I think i got around 18ms.

iii) show that particle has hor and vert compon of 288/13 and 120/13 respectively

anyone done that one? i got the answers as decimals... can't remember if they matched the above components.

iv) that was really bad... i didn't get anything close to

637t2-1200t-585=0

v) value of d?

Anyone done the paper and wants to discuss anything on it? just post the question and what you got, if you can remember of coz.

Q2, Q3 are so bad i don't even wanna talk about them,

Q4. Was a dream...

i) c=12

ii) a=-4, b=12

iii) draw v-c graph, hope you can do this

iv) distance=0, if you got 20 you found displacement,

ReputationRep:
    omg it was the hardest exam ever!

I got -4 and 52 for a and b as well, q4 was the only one i liked, altho i got 0 for the distance i thought it was wrong cos the positive and negative cancelled each other out, i crossed 0 out dammit, it was worth 6 marks! i totally ran out of time

ReputationRep:
    I definitely thought it was a tough paper, compared to some of the past papers I practiced.

I got a=-4 and b=52 also. I did simultaneous equations using t=10 and t=12, or something like that.

637t^2-1200t-585=0
    That one was just weird. Couldn't see where they got those numbers from at all.

The boat one I thought was the easiest question of the paper.

ReputationRep:
    i wasnt sure what they were askin for part of the boat q, for the 637t^2-1200t-585=0 i found t using the quadratic formula, i dont think we were even asked for t, i cant remember but i didnt know what else to do

ReputationRep:
    I never took it but loads of people I know took it....
    they all said it was horrrrrid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*Opal*~)
    altho i got 0 for the distance i thought it was wrong cos the positive and negative cancelled each other out, i crossed 0 out dammit, it was worth 6 marks! i totally ran out of time
    I agree with you there. It was a zero displacement but it asked you for the distance. To be honest, you didn't even have to intergrate it because it asked you to draw a v-t graph beforehand. You could of just used the graph to work out the area - realised that when I got out and my mate mentioned it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maljosh)
    you must be kidding guys... that was definately the most difficult m1 exam there ever was!

---------

I believe that's the most difficult m1 exam i've ever seen, just like jan 01. I thought i was gonna get an A easily... now i only hope i'll get 35-40 out of 60,

I was so angry with examiners i've stolen m1 paper,

Damn, i can't believe it's so tough....

Q1.

The particle is 2kg, going up the slope.

i) by using newtons second low show that acc= -49/13.

Why couldn't they just said find F using second low...

Anyways the answer was a=f/m=2gsin22/2

ii) find speed of the particle at B. u=25ms. I think i got around 18ms.

iii) show that particle has hor and vert compon of 288/13 and 120/13 respectively

anyone done that one? i got the answers as decimals... can't remember if they matched the above components.

iv) that was really bad... i didn't get anything close to

637t2-1200t-585=0

v) value of d?

Anyone done the paper and wants to discuss anything on it? just post the question and what you got, if you can remember of coz.

Q2, Q3 are so bad i don't even wanna talk about them,

Q4. Was a dream...

i) c=12

ii) a=-4, b=12

iii) draw v-c graph, hope you can do this

iv) distance=0, if you got 20 you found displacement,

Question 1 part ii. Speed of particle at top of slope =24ms-1

part iv:
    637t^2 -1200t-585 = 0

s=ut +.5at^2

initial height is 4.5 m, let s=y
    u=24sin22.62 = 9.23
    we get:
    y=4.5 +9.23t -4.9t^2

and y=0 when ball hits ground so:

0=4.5 +9.23t-4.9t^2

times the whole lot by 130 and rearrange gives

637t^2 -1200t-585 = 0

Managed to get it in the exam, still thought it was evil though...........

Question 4, last part.

I integrated between limits 0 and 4 and then 4 and 6 and added.
    I got 21 and 1/3 m. 10 2/3 in one direction then 10 2/3 in other direction.
    Distance is a scalar so I (still) think answer is 21 1/3. I think the displacement is zero. Could be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    let's just hope we'll be marked up as this is such a difficult paper,

ReputationRep:
    637t^2-1200t-585=0

i did that bit right at the end!
    The numbers are from the y component of s=ut + 1/2at^2 and they multiplied all the numbers by 130.

I can't believe that a and b bit on question 4. I thought I got it right but after seeing what you have all written, I don't think so! Got a=-3 and b=40!

ReputationRep:
    when you intergrate between 6 and 0 you get 0 displacement, as somebody said. But i thought it was distance in the exam.. still not sure though...

In the exam, i also found the area under the curve(3 triangles) that worked out to be 20m - i crossed it out in the end,

Anyone knows what was Q2 part iii) about?

T1 has magnitude 25N in dir -3i+4j

iii) Show that T1=-15i+20j and calculate the magnitude of T2, and the angle that T2 makes with i-dir.

What i've done was:

25=3^2+4^2

Therefore, (3i+4j)5=-15i+20j

Then i calculated angle between T1 and i dir, but how do you find the angle between T2 and i-dir? I didn't know what to do so i put:

angle t2=180-90-36(angle between t1 and i dir)=54 or something...

Then i was really stuck and moved to next question,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyG)
    0=4.5 +9.23t-4.9t^2

times the whole lot by 130 and rearrange gives

637t^2 -1200t-585 = 0
    Ah bugger - I got 0=4.5+9.23t-4.9t^2 but I thought it was no where near to 637t^2 -1200t-585=0
    I just figured I was wrong - didn't think to multiply all terms to try to match what was given. Doh!.

ReputationRep:

Question 4, last part.

I integrated between limits 0 and 4 and then 4 and 6 and added.
    I got 21 and 1/3 m. 10 2/3 in one direction then 10 2/3 in other direction.
    Distance is a scalar so I (still) think answer is 21 1/3. I think the displacement is zero. Could be wrong though.
    Did that aswell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma Louise)
    Did that aswell!
    What distance did you get for the horizontal distance of the ball when it hit the ground? (last part of Q1)

After using the quadratic eqn I got 2.29 seconds
    and 50.6 metres.

is that what you got?

ReputationRep:
    What distance did you get for the horizontal distance of the ball when it hit the ground? (last part of Q1)

After using the quadratic eqn I got 2.29 seconds
    and 50.6 metres.

is that what you got?
    Dunno my answer, but I did something like that.

Found t when y=0 and then used Vhoriz=24cos(whatever-angle-it-was) so 24cos(whatever-angle-it-was)=d/t

so d=24cos(whatever-angle-it-was)t

ReputationRep:
    I thought M1 was fine, but everyone else seemed to think it was harder than past years.

I did M2 aswell, which should have been fine, but i didnt see the text before the last part of the question 4, so i was totally confused about it. Fortunately i realised about 20 minutes before the end and was able to do it..phew.
    I missed out 3(ii) which i am reallly really annoyed about. Was only 2 marks, so its not the end of the world

ReputationRep:
    i thought that exam was quie hard compared to most of the past papers i'v done! For Q1 (i) i used the correct method but came out with the wrong answer... im thinking that i must have just made a sily mistake with it but do you think i would have got any method marks? (it was a 4 mark question i think)

Also to find the distance/displacement or whatever it was i just did the are under the curve which i had drawn... is that wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I found that so hideous!!
    Qn one - only did part 2 and thing I buggered it up
    qn 3 and 4 I was good on, got 0 for the last qn but didnt have time to make it a distance so I wont have got full marks
    qn 2 was touch and go

Luckily I got an A on stats and the pure 1 went good a couple of weeks ago so there's still hope

Gutted though, I thought I would do well

ReputationRep:
    That was defiently one of the hardest M1's for several years, but I managed to answer the questions after a bit of thinking.

Except I did the ultimate schoolboy error and caluclated displacement instead of distance for the last question! Not bothered though, only needed a D!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.