Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It seems that Germany is beginning to regret it's decision of opening up and 'welcoming' 800,000 migrants and refugees already.

Check the link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-disaster.html

They are putting border controls back in and have stopped all trains coming in from Austria.

While I can't say that I am shocked, I mean it was obvious that they'd regret it at some point but only 2 and a half weeks later?

I mean come on, So soon?

If only you knew how much I am laughing right now

Pretty sure everybody knew that them deciding to open up to hundreds of thousands in such a short amount of time would inevitably lead to the breakdown and over-stress of services.

It was just not feasible let alone practical. Like come on?

I commend them for being kind and embracing the humanitarian way but clearly they bit off more than they can chew. Countries don't WORK or RUN on morals.

Countries run on politics and enforcing laws. Maybe next time they'll reconsider every option.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    While I do commend Germany for what they've done, I find it shocking how the world can be so selfish when it comes to people who are literally desperate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    While I do commend Germany for what they've done, I find it shocking how the world can be so selfish when it comes to people who are literally desperate
    Yes, let's hand over our culture and our civilisation to people who would much rather run away from their problems, that's the noble and selfless thing to do.

If selflessness is self-immolation, no it is not moral or virtuous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    My grandmother told me all the time that the world is a selfish place. And it is. History will show you that it is. All past and present wars, the economic recessions, the world divide between rich and poor. The unequal sharing of wealth simply based on geographical location. i.e - Middle east with lots of oil compared to other places.

Truthfully, it's sad but people can choose to either help or not help. It is their choice. Get over it.

Just because you want help it doesn't mean that someone should give you help. It would be awfully bloody lovely if you were given help every time you so wanted it. But no one is obliged to give it.

That's where the whole argument of ''humanity'' and ''being human'' comes in to play. There are ones who argue that it's just basic humanity to help others out. There are some who would argue ''who said it is basic humanity?''

Can someone choose not to help? Yes.

Is it their choice? Yes.

Does that make them morally wrong? Perhaps.

Do you have to like it? No.

Is the world a selfish place? Most definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Letting in 800,000 people at once? An illiterate chav on the street could tell you why it was a bad idea.

Help them in their own country and cure the disease rather than treat the symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    Can't say I'm shocked, I was anticipating this. It's like at a buffet where you pile your plate sky high thinking you'll easily finish it and then leave 2/3.

ReputationRep:
    I'm relieved. Just look at Sweden. It's completely ruined because of the immigrants. I'm 14, and once I could roam Gothenburg by myself for a whole day until about six o'clock.. that's how peaceful it was. Now it's a dangerous place. Look up Paul Joseph Watsons - "The Migrant Crisis," there's a bit about Sweden and it's generally very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Can't say I'm shocked, I was anticipating this. It's like at a buffet where you pile your plate sky high thinking you'll easily finish it and then leave 2/3.
    Don't forget the part where you demonize the people who told you it was a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    There is a humanitarian situation to deal with but letting primary emotions take over completely will end up creating further problems, I heard this week an interview with a 'refugee' in Budapest who justified being there because life in Turkey meant her husband had to work 12 hours a day and it did nothing for their quality of life. That is obviously not suggesting everyone has migrated on similar grounds but we must acknowledge many people are economic migrants.

We had 'that' photo that made so many people react somehow after being confronted with it, despite their apparent lower level of concern beforehand, it happens to be the case that the family had been living in Turkey for three years, they weren't 'fleeing for their lives' when they decided to brave the seas in such dangerous conditions. We can say they 'must have been desperate' to do so but it was a very foolish thing to do when they didn't have to. Could have looked for another way to make it over, it is nobody else's responsibility and it is a bit sad to have policy-making so influenced by such populist outpours of raw emotion.

No fan of Cameron here but he has done as well as he could on this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namandi)
    It seems that Germany is beginning to regret it's decision of opening up and 'welcoming' 800,000 migrants and refugees already.

Check the link

They are putting border controls back in and have stopped all trains coming in from Austria.

While I can't say that I am shocked, I mean it was obvious that they'd regret it at some point but only 2 and a half weeks later?

I mean come on, So soon?

Pretty sure everybody knew that them deciding to open up to hundreds of thousands in such a short amount of time would inevitably lead to the breakdown and over-stress of services.

I commend them for being kind and embracing the humanitarian way but clearly they bit off more than they can chew. Countries don't WORK or RUN on morals.

Countries run on politics and enforcing laws. Maybe next time they'll reconsider every option.
    Until 3pm tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caseynh)
    I'm relieved. Just look at Sweden. It's completely ruined because of the immigrants. I'm 14, and once I could roam Gothenburg by myself for a whole day until about six o'clock.. that's how peaceful it was. Now it's a dangerous place. Look up Paul Joseph Watsons - "The Migrant Crisis," there's a bit about Sweden and it's generally very interesting.
    Really?

I wanted to go to the Brewdog bar there. You think I'll get stabbed?

ReputationRep:
    They do have to control the flow of refugees, meaning that they're temporarily opting out of Schengen, but I see no sign that they regret the humanitarian assitance they've given thus far.

ReputationRep:
    Extremist little Englander bigoted nasty racist xenophobic Nigel Farage explained the inexorable consequences of the EU's Common Asylum policy back in April to deaf ears. When was that, a mere 4-5 months ago?

"Now, I suspect that it's a shock, and will be a hell of a shock to many European citizens including the British to understand that we've already agreed a Common European Asylum System. And what today is about, and today's resolution is the direct implementation of it.

The problem, ladies and gentlemen, is this: the definitions for who qualifies for asylum are so wide they include not just people coming from war, not just people coming from failed states - Mr Juncker this morning seemed to suggest it would even include people who are suffering poverty."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dictator)
    Yes, let's hand over our culture and our civilisation to people who would much rather run away from their problems, that's the noble and selfless thing to do.

If selflessness is self-immolation, no it is not moral or virtuous.
    I sincerely hope you're not referring to the Syrians when you refer to those 'running away from their problems'. Completely bogus to assume that accepting a few thousand refugees will lead to some sort of huge national meltdown. Selflessness is in no way self-immolation in this case, but thinking of your discomfort when hundreds of thousands are risking their lives is certainly selfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akamega)
    I sincerely hope you're not referring to the Syrians when you refer to those 'running away from their problems'. Completely bogus to assume that accepting a few thousand refugees will lead to some sort of huge national meltdown. Selflessness is in no way self-immolation in this case, but thinking of your discomfort when hundreds of thousands are risking their lives is certainly selfish.
    I am referring to the Syrians.

If everyone were a bit more selfish perhaps we wouldn't be headed for disaster.

ReputationRep:
    If he wants to be selfish then he can be.

People can be selfish if they want.

Get over it.

ReputationRep:

Check the link

I mean come on, So soon?

Oh so sorry I just read your thread.

I am happy anyway - just like you.

ReputationRep:
    Completely bogus to assume that accepting a few thousand refugees
    It is not a few thousand it will nearer 1 million (and probably more) by the time this has settled

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.