Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so currently im an A2 student and I study Biology, Maths and BTEC IT (3units). Now im kind of upset that I have to do BTEC IT because I used to do chemistry AS level but last academic year has been bad for me, and that lead me to get a poor grade in chemistry. Now I don't mind getting a poor grade as I could've just retook the exams and do better overall however my sixth form wont allow me to continue with the course so I have no choice but to do BTEC IT. And to make it worse, its not even a full BTEC, its half of a BTEC since I don't want to spend an extra year in sixth form. Now the problem is that my career prospects are limited since i don't have chemistry alevel, many courses require a second science subject or specifically chemistry. I got good GCSE grades but after last year, i don't know what happened....it feels like my life is ruined in terms of going to a good uni and getting a good job. Now the big question is, what if i got A for Biology, A for Maths and a Distinction for BTEC IT, can i still go to a good uni and get a good job or will not having Chemistry a Level affect my chances...I don't have a career in mind because of my grades but generally looking in healthcare and engineering. Please help!

PS- i don't really want to take a gap year because i know i wont do anything and it will be wasted year. And i will also be lazy to go back to studying/education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrRebel)
    Hey, so currently im an A2 student and I study Biology, Maths and BTEC IT (3units). Now im kind of upset that I have to do BTEC IT because I used to do chemistry AS level but last academic year has been bad for me, and that lead me to get a poor grade in chemistry. Now I don't mind getting a poor grade as I could've just retook the exams and do better overall however my sixth form wont allow me to continue with the course so I have no choice but to do BTEC IT. And to make it worse, its not even a full BTEC, its half of a BTEC since I don't want to spend an extra year in sixth form. Now the problem is that my career prospects are limited since i don't have chemistry alevel, many courses require a second science subject or specifically chemistry. I got good GCSE grades but after last year, i don't know what happened....it feels like my life is ruined in terms of going to a good uni and getting a good job. Now the big question is, what if i got A for Biology, A for Maths and a Distinction for BTEC IT, can i still go to a good uni and get a good job or will not having Chemistry a Level affect my chances...I don't have a career in mind because of my grades but generally looking in healthcare and engineering. Please help!

PS- i don't really want to take a gap year because i know i wont do anything and it will be wasted year. And i will also be lazy to go back to studying/education.
    have a look at courses and see what a-levels they want, what's uni is a good website for this.

ReputationRep:
    You may struggle to get an offer from a top uni as they usually require 3 full A levels or a BTEC Extended (18 units), The BTEC certificate that you are doing is worth 1 AS level so in essence you have the equivalent of 3 A levels but you may need to apply to places that require UCAS points rather than 3 specific grades, some good unis will accept 2 AS grades in place of one A level grade e.g. Manchester but you will have to get an average grade between the 2 qualifications that matches the grade in their offer

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsta)
    have a look at courses and see what a-levels they want, what's uni is a good website for this.
    thanks i will check this out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    You may struggle to get an offer from a top uni as they usually require 3 full A levels or a BTEC Extended (18 units), The BTEC certificate that you are doing is worth 1 AS level so in essence you have the equivalent of 3 A levels but you may need to apply to places that require UCAS points rather than 3 specific grades, some good unis will accept 2 AS grades in place of one A level grade e.g. Manchester but you will have to get an average grade between the 2 qualifications that matches the grade in their offer

Hope this helps
    so all hope is not lost then....i dunno, many russell groups that i've searched look more into the grade rather than the ucas points. Its really important that i got to a good uni, i dont mind doing a foundation year on top as long as i go to a good russell group uni. But many wont even consider me.And that's what worries me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrRebel)

Try this website, it's free to register:

http://www.ukcoursefinder.com

Engineering degrees usually want Physics A level so if you want that you'll need to do a Foundation year. Do look outside the RG unis as they are not always best for Engineering employability.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.