Turn on thread page Beta

Deciding Between Astrophys + Aerospace Engineering - Jobs? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I'm obviously gonna be applying to university in the next few months, but I have yet to decide whether I want to go for Astrophysics and Cosmology (Loughborough) or Aerospace Engineering (Leeds, but they also do it at Loughborough)

My love is physics, so I think I'd enjoy the astro + cosmo course more, but I've been wondering what kind of jobs I'd get with that. If I did engineering, it's a bit more of a straight path, but I'm worried that if I do astro + cosmo I'm going to be crunching numbers at a desk or something.

So basically I'm wondering what kind of jobs would come about after doing Astrophysics and Cosmology? My tutor says that doing anything maths/physics will give me a huge spectrum of jobs, but I really have no idea what I want to do, just what course I want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Do aero, its better paid that astro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-mily)
    Hi, so I'm obviously gonna be applying to university in the next few months, but I have yet to decide whether I want to go for Astrophysics and Cosmology (Loughborough) or Aerospace Engineering (Leeds, but they also do it at Loughborough)

My love is physics, so I think I'd enjoy the astro + cosmo course more, but I've been wondering what kind of jobs I'd get with that. If I did engineering, it's a bit more of a straight path, but I'm worried that if I do astro + cosmo I'm going to be crunching numbers at a desk or something.

So basically I'm wondering what kind of jobs would come about after doing Astrophysics and Cosmology? My tutor says that doing anything maths/physics will give me a huge spectrum of jobs, but I really have no idea what I want to do, just what course I want to do.
    I will suggest you do Aero. Astronomy is a cool and exciting course and all that but you have to look at the reality and that is you wont be doing any job relating to astrophysics whatsoever when you finish, because there aren't that many. However with aero, there are actual jobs where people apply what to learnt in uni in real life. If you are lucky you could be working on the next space shuttle/rover. Also most universities like Southampton has the Aeronautics & Astronautics course which is very space oritentated so you get to still learn about space. Most uni's now has space modules in the aero course too you will do orbital mechanics, etc which will give you the astro feel.

Talking on the finance side, in real life the way people make money is that they create a product/service that other people pay to use. Thats what engineers and other fields do hence why some of them make a lot of money, where as if you have a degree where you aren't creating a product but relying on university/government funding then you're less likely to be 'rich'.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.