Turn on thread page Beta

How much money will I need to afford a car? watch

ReputationRep:
    I passed my test in 2011 at the age of 22, and took my pass plus a year later. Since then I haven't driven at all due to problems with getting a job. I'm now nearly 26 and would like to consider getting a car next year. I don't care about what the car is like, I'm just sick of the awkwardness and effort of trains. I see young people with crappy minimum wage jobs with cars and can't understand how they afford it.

So I just wanted a straightforward breakdown of how much disposable money I would need to afford a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    I passed my test in 2011 at the age of 22, and took my pass plus a year later. Since then I haven't driven at all due to problems with getting a job. I'm now nearly 26 and would like to consider getting a car next year. I don't care about what the car is like, I'm just sick of the awkwardness and effort of trains. I see young people with crappy minimum wage jobs with cars and can't understand how they afford it.

So I just wanted a straightforward breakdown of how much disposable money I would need to afford a car.
    £3500 would be a ballpark figure to think about. Maybe a Nissan Pixo for £3000, then put aside £500 for insurance and MOT on the first year. You want a balance between a car that's not too expensive, but will also last and not cause you problems to have to pay out on.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Id say a couple of grand to get you started- e.g. buy a car, insure it etc.
    Id only spend about a grand on your first car, as you dont want to spend too much on your first car in case you have the odd scratch or scrape. Luckily, since you are over 25, the insurance will be a lot cheaper than 17-21 year olds. It will still be slightly more expensive in your first year as you dont have any no claims etc, but should be a lot more reasonable. Make sure any car you buy has an MOT as well.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. How about the ongoing costs such as petrol, say by week or month?

ReputationRep:

Errr ballpark for a reasonably reliable small car
    £1000 try small and japanese, Nissan Micra/toyota yaris etc etc, dont spend a lot on your first car. I would definetly recommend less than £2k

Insurance
    £1000 again until you have had your license for a bit, may be less since your 22 but budget a grand (SEE BOTTOM)

Fuel, Depends entirely on how much you drive. http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.html I use this site. For instance I do ~5k a year in a car that does ~30mpg and petrol is ~110p = £833 yearly costs / 52 = £16 a week.
    Your average small car gets 40-50 (call it 45) to the gallon, 110p petrol, Lets say 5k a year but you will probably be less unless you commute a lot = tenner-ish a week.

Maintenance, Car will need a service once every year or 2 dependant on mileage and individual car. This will cost about £125 was my rate, chuck in an extra £100 for possible other maintenance, £500 WORST CASE (i.e engine malfunction or big part requiring replacement). Unless its a very new or expensive car dont bother with the actual dealer they will rip you off, find a reputable local garage and make sure they stamp your service book. If you dont know the garage try to consult people who know cars or go to another garage for a 2nd opinion before paying for any major work

So overvew
    Car = ~£1000
    Insurance = ~£1000
    Fuel = ~£500 on normal to low commuting miles in a small car
    Maintenance = ~£250
    Car Tax = ~£120 for your normal small car, it will be less the newer the car is
    So budget ~£3000 for the year just to be safe and you should be golden
    OR
    £2000 capital with £20 weekly costs

EDIT: I cant read, since your >25 insurance will be a lot less than a grand most likely. Try to budget ~£500 for that as I doubt it would be more for a small car. The rest is still relevant though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. How about the ongoing costs such as petrol, say by week or month?
    most of the ongoing costs are completely unknown.

type of car, MPG etc all have an effect

insurance could be from a few hundred to a couple of grand depending on the car, fuel, from 20 to 70 MPG, service items like tyres from 30 quid a pop to a couple of hundred, road tax from nothing to 200 odd.

but for say a little starter car, a corsa, fiesta and that sort of thing, say 1 - 1.5k for a ten year+ one, with your age and depending on location insurance will be 400 - 500, tax is 150, fuel is about 40 miles for about a fiver, mot about 30 quid, oil changes and general 'maintenance' budget for a couple of hundred a year, tyres I budged around 50 quid per corner and they generally get changed in pairs.

if you're handy with a spanner, things like changing brake pads and other bits and pieces are cheap for parts.

Id say about 2 - 3k should get s decent enough older car and other fixed costs, then you just need to work out your mileage to get an idea of fuel costs, you could do it for a lot less, but then you're really in to banger territory, and any car you buy could give up the ghost a week later.

ReputationRep:
    I've always liked Mazda MX-5's or Mercedes Benz A-Class.

If an AMG Mercedes came along, I wouldn't say no.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.