Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I got A*AB at a level,with the A* in english literature. I turned down newcastle and nottingham to firm manchester,have I made a mistake in doing this because of it's low league table ranking or does it really matter? Manchester is currently 24th and newcastle and nottingham in the top ten :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it matters in comparison to other factors. What matters is the course content, the location etc. If you're happy with those, you should be happy with your choice

ReputationRep:
    Most employers don't care what uni you graduate from, unless its oxbridge or LSE, a lot of high-end companies mainly look for a 2:1 as your final result at uni.
    With that said, if you like Manchester stick with it, better to have an enjoyable experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobbyFlay)
    Most employers don't care what uni you graduate from, unless its oxbridge or LSE, a lot of high-end companies mainly look for a 2:1 as your final result at uni.
    With that said, if you like Manchester stick with it, better to have an enjoyable experience.
    Thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllainKahlo)
    I don't think it matters in comparison to other factors. What matters is the course content, the location etc. If you're happy with those, you should be happy with your choice
    Thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachsocks)
    Thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're welcome. At the end of the day, uni is a lot of money and enjoying your stay there is one of the most important factors you could consider

ReputationRep:
    So I got A*AB at a level,with the A* in english literature. I turned down newcastle and nottingham to firm manchester,have I made a mistake in doing this because of it's low league table ranking or does it really matter? Manchester is currently 24th and newcastle and nottingham in the top ten :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which ranking are you looking at?

This one places Nottingham 25th, Newcastle 26th, and Manchester 28th; they're very close.
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the subject table ranking :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about league tables too much - they vary so much between years. Employers aren't going to go searching back to the league tables of 2015/2016 when they see your degree on your CV

Having said that, Manchester has a very good reputation and a well-known name. Being a part of the Russell group also helps with international recognition.

Also, well done on your results!! You've done great and you're going to a great university, just relax

ReputationRep:
    league tables arent too accurate (one uni lecturer i met at an open day says they are often based on which uni pays the most in advertising to each newspaper - but not sure how true that is) but they vary so much from year to year, by the time you graduate they will probably be totally different, plus employers dont really look at the uni, just your grade :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaffre)
    Don't worry about league tables too much - they vary so much between years. Employers aren't going to go searching back to the league tables of 2015/2016 when they see your degree on your CV

Having said that, Manchester has a very good reputation and a well-known name. Being a part of the Russell group also helps with international recognition.

Also, well done on your results!! You've done great and you're going to a great university, just relax
    Thanks so much! Seeing stuff about league tables on here just worries me I never put any thought into it before but everyone on here seems to think anything aside top ten is crap thanks for your advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much! Seeing stuff about league tables on here just worries me I never put any thought into it before but everyone on here seems to think anything aside top ten is crap thanks for your advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, people on here like to jerk off over league tables

Most league tables are actually quite different from each other, and which universities are "better" becomes very subjective. Whether or not you like the university is much more important

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaffre)
    Yeah, people on here like to jerk off over league tables

Most league tables are actually quite different from each other, and which universities are "better" becomes very subjective. Whether or not you like the university is much more important

Good luck!
    Thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If it was 90th vs. top 10 maybe, bt 24th vs top 10 is barely any different. In the grander scheme of things I'd rank all 3 pretty close together

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 1, 2015

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.