Turn on thread page Beta

Appeal to university because PAT not good enough.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need to express my exasperation!
    This girl on my course failed 9/11 assignments. All year i nagged her to get help but she didnt. All summer i nagged her to resit and she wont tell me how many she resat.
    Now in a last ditch attempt shes appealing to get into second year based on her academic tutor not being 'good enough'?
    Her PAT is lovely and tried her best.. im frustrated for so many reasons xD
    What do you think will happen with the appeal?

(Original post by Hevachan)
    This girl on my course failed 9/11 assignments. All year i nagged her to get help but she didnt. All summer i nagged her to resit and she wont tell me how many she resat.
    Now in a last ditch attempt shes appealing to get into second year based on her academic tutor not being 'good enough'?
    Im confused by your post. To me 9/11 is a car. It is also a terrorist thingy depending on context but mostly its a car. PAT involves the testing of electrical stuff. Your post makes F.A sense based on those definitions.

ReputationRep:
    they would probably reject her appeal, especially if she doesn't have a good enough reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Im confused by your post. To me 9/11 is a car. It is also a terrorist thingy depending on context but mostly its a car. PAT involves the testing of electrical stuff. Your post makes F.A sense based on those definitions.
    :') sorry.. PAT - personal academic tutor

ReputationRep:
    When she says the tutor wasn't 'good enough', the only circumstances I can think of where the appeal might have some basis would be if the tutor failed to respond to her asking for help, or didn't adequately deal with/pass on information about possible mitigating circumstances for the exams, or some catastrophic bureaucratic blunder on their part where some urgent form didn't get submitted on time, etc. If she genuinely didn't ask for help before now then I imagine the appeal hasn't a leg to stand on - even if they are experiencing difficulties, it is ultimately students' responsibility to tell the relevant people that they are struggling and need help. Personal tutors are not mind readers, nor can they keep minute-by-minute track of all their tutees' goings-on, especially as some tutors can have upwards of 20 students in a group.

Having said that, I don't think I've ever seen anyone base an appeal on their tutor not being 'good enough', so it does make me wonder whether the tutor wasn't in fact the most helpful. It's also entirely possible that your friend is just lashing out now that she's panicked and her anger has landed on her tutor, as the primary liaison between her & the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    lmao I thought PAT stood for Physics Aptitude Test

ReputationRep:
    Portable Appliance Testing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gutenberg)
    When she says the tutor wasn't 'good enough', the only circumstances I can think of where the appeal might have some basis would be if the tutor failed to respond to her asking for help, or didn't adequately deal with/pass on information about possible mitigating circumstances for the exams, or some catastrophic bureaucratic blunder on their part where some urgent form didn't get submitted on time, etc. If she genuinely didn't ask for help before now then I imagine the appeal hasn't a leg to stand on - even if they are experiencing difficulties, it is ultimately students' responsibility to tell the relevant people that they are struggling and need help. Personal tutors are not mind readers, nor can they keep minute-by-minute track of all their tutees' goings-on, especially as some tutors can have upwards of 20 students in a group.

Having said that, I don't think I've ever seen anyone base an appeal on their tutor not being 'good enough', so it does make me wonder whether the tutor wasn't in fact the most helpful. It's also entirely possible that your friend is just lashing out now that she's panicked and her anger has landed on her tutor, as the primary liaison between her & the university.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I had a diffeerent tutor so i cant be sure but as a lecturer the lady was wonderfully helpful. Shes actually takenover as the course leader so its going to be quite an insult to her. My friend is definitely acting out of desparation and anger.. ironic for someone who dreams of being a nurse haha. I wonder if this will have implications for her if she resits first year..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.
    I had a diffeerent tutor so i cant be sure but as a lecturer the lady was wonderfully helpful. Shes actually takenover as the course leader so its going to be quite an insult to her. My friend is definitely acting out of desparation and anger.. ironic for someone who dreams of being a nurse haha. I wonder if this will have implications for her if she resits first year..
    Well honestly if she failed 9 out of 11 resits, I can imagine the only way forward would be retaking first year, as her basic knowledge is evidently not good enough to get into second year, even if she did have some mitigating circumstances. At the very least I imagine she'll be assigned a different tutor...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.
    The uni staff will be perfectly capable of seeing through an appeal which is based on a student's disappointment, frustration and perhaps a measure of shame. I doubt it will even make it as far as being accepted into the Appeals process.

It's unlikely to affect her resit year unless she decides to make a big deal of it. Her former tutor will be professional and there may be safeguards in place to ensure that coursework/exams set by her are either marked by someone else, or are always second marked. Unis are very keen to demonstrate a lack of bias, as that has recently become grounds for formal appeal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    The uni staff will be perfectly capable of seeing through an appeal which is based on a student's disappointment, frustration and perhaps a measure of shame. I doubt it will even make it as far as being accepted into the Appeals process.

It's unlikely to affect her resit year unless she decides to make a big deal of it. Her former tutor will be professional and there may be safeguards in place to ensure that coursework/exams set by her are either marked by someone else, or are always second marked. Unis are very keen to demonstrate a lack of bias, as that has recently become grounds for formal appeal.
    I appreciate your insight. I think you're right but in a way i wish she'd get her comeuppance haha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.