Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dislike Corbyn intensily, I think he is far to radical.

My major gripe with him though is how he simply expects ISIS to leave Britain alone if we withdraw from NATO and stop the drone strikes.

That is the most deluded theory I have ever heard, this is coming from a man mind you who actively supported Iraqi insurgents rights to target British soldiers.

This is a man who has had political history of fraternising with Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams during the height of the troubles.

Yet people would trust this man with protecting our shores.

Millions are fleeing from that part of the world to the West because they know it is safe, and we in this country are the safest from any sort of attack and always have been, an Island nation with a sizeable military who have always attempted not to be as gung-ho as our American allies.

Yet Corbyn would try to appease radicals who appear to have no rational thought and simply won't cease until everyone is dead.

I'm not being sensationalist and I am by no means right wing or a Tory voter but dear God, if this man is the answer and he would willingly turn our backs on our Western allies, then this country truly is in danger.

His warped views on foreign policy will surely be what costs him the vote, because not going to lie, I can't see him winning in 2020.

ReputationRep:
    Well I believe his actual plan was to not participate in strikes directly but to isolate them by using diplomacy to cut off funding and weapons shipments (presumably with an alliance of those in the region to militarily destroy them).

That said, while i voted for Corbyn and do like him, I too worry about his stance on this and some other foreign policy issues. There should be no negotiation with ISIS - they need to be destroyed; and pulling out of NATO, (though not, perhaps, nuclear disarmament), also seems unwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHistoryStudent)
    Well I believe his actual plan was to not participate in strikes directly but to isolate them by using diplomacy to cut off funding and weapons shipments (presumably with an alliance of those in the region to militarily destroy them).

That said, while i voted for Corbyn and do like him, I too worry about his stance on this and some other foreign policy issues. There should be no negotiation with ISIS, they need to be destroyed, and pulling out of NATO, (though not, perhaps, nuclear disarmament), also seems unwise.
    Nuclear disarmament is a different Issue entirely in my opinion as many moderate politicians support it and there is a very good case for it.

But to me Corbyn seems to think the solution to ISIS is to abandon Israel, abandon NATO and simply say "sod it we're done with you" and expects ISIS to some how role over and accept this a truce?

I respect the man for not betraying his values and towing the party line but this is just too much in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Stop the arms flow and you stop conflict.

It suits us to carry on exporting arms all over the world.

If we wanted to eradicate wars, we would simply ban weapon manufacturers and jail those that defy our laws.

But that would mean David Cameron and Co. all ending up in jail and we can't have that, can we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Errm33)
    Stop the arms flow and you stop conflict.

It suits us to carry on exporting arms all over the world.

If we wanted to eradicate wars, we would simply ban weapon manufacturers and jail those that defy our laws.

But that would mean David Cameron and Co. all ending up in jail and we can't have that, can we?
    We've chosen the road we are going down.

It's too late now to simply say "Lets just stop fighting"

ISIS won't rest until everyone who opposes them is dead, by Corbyn's logic we would simply roll over for them.

You say that like the Labour party are exempt from any part in this, you need to remember it was Blair who chose this route not Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    This is hysterical nonsense bordering on propaganda

The truth is, Corbyn isn't that bad and neither are his policies

ReputationRep:
    In what world do these people live in? Unless you saw Corbyn upload a picture with him and Jihadi John posing on Instagram, don't assume he is with ISIS. FS daily mail readers I bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)

It seems like the Tories have already gone full steam ahead with the propaganda judging by those posters they released of Corbyn minutes after his victory.

Expect to hear that "threat to national security" soundbite be spouted by every single Tory MP any time they're asked about Corbyn.

I just hope that the public will get tired of this hyperbolic nonsense after a while...

ReputationRep:
    He was asked why he talked to Violent Islamists, he said be caused he had a duty to engage with people who he fundamentally disagreed with.

He later ruled out ever doing the same with someone from the BNP. Nuff said, this man is a bigoted hypocrite with a Farage style personality cult who think that reporting on what Corbyn actually says openly is a 'smear campaign'. He may well have good intentions as do most idealists but a certain road is already paved full of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    He was asked why he talked to Violent Islamists, he said be caused he had a duty to engage with people who he fundamentally disagreed with.

He later ruled out ever doing the same with someone from the BNP. Nuff said, this man is a bigoted hypocrite with a Farage style personality cult who think that reporting on what Corbyn actually says openly is a 'smear campaign'. He may well have good intentions as do most idealists but a certain road is already paved full of them.
    There is no place in democratic debate for racists he says..............except for if they're racist against certain people apparently...........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)

Very well thought out response to a serious concern about the safety of over 700 million Europeans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunken Bard)
    We've chosen the road we are going down.

It's too late now to simply say "Lets just stop fighting"

ISIS won't rest until everyone who opposes them is dead, by Corbyn's logic we would simply roll over for them.

You say that like the Labour party are exempt from any part in this, you need to remember it was Blair who chose this route not Cameron.
    If we take away their tools, they cannot do anything which is what Corbyn is suggesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Errm336)
    If we take away their tools, they cannot do anything which is what Corbyn is suggesting.
    You think Corbyn will have the power to regulate international arms deals, what about hostile countries expanding influence through trade, the idea that we have that much control over events so far away is very delusional

ReputationRep:
    Implying ISIS won't simply get their arms from somewhere else.

People can't seriously be this naive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunken Bard)
    Implying ISIS won't simply get their arms from somewhere else.

People can't seriously be this naive.
    So we start to make inroads with arms dealers by confiscating their stock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    You think Corbyn will have the power to regulate international arms deals, what about hostile countries expanding influence through trade, the idea that we have that much control over events so far away is very delusional
    So you'd rather we make a quick buck selling weapons than say, Russia?

ReputationRep:
    So we start to make inroads with arms dealers by confiscating their stock.
    Syria and Iraq are warzones. Assault rifles, machine guns, RPGs, mortars, etc. are very common in that part of the world and are easy to get hold of and smuggle in. Heavier weapons like tanks are obtained by capturing them from an enemy. Trying to cut off the flow of weapons to ISIS is not going to defeat them, not even close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    Syria and Iraq are warzones. Assault rifles, machine guns, RPGs, mortars, etc. are very common in that part of the world and are easy to get hold of and smuggle in. Heavier weapons like tanks are obtained by capturing them from an enemy. Trying to cut off the flow of weapons to ISIS is not going to defeat them, not even close.
    We can start by not giving ant more weapons or allowing people to sell arms. This will start to reduce the likelihood of weapons flooding into the region.

When you go to mop up a leak, you start by turning off the water source, not simply mopping up the water.

ReputationRep:
    We can start by not giving ant more weapons or allowing people to sell arms. This will start to reduce the likelihood of weapons flooding into the region.

When you go to mop up a leak, you start by turning off the water source, not simply mopping up the water.
    You're logic is flawed.

How are we going to stop people from selling arms? Without having boots on the ground in Syria.

And why does it require us leaving our allies in NATO and putting us in a much weaker situation.

Simple answer, it doesn't make sense, also the Americans have been trying to stop the arms flow from Pakistan for almost a decade and haven't gotten anywhere, what chance have we got?

ReputationRep:
    The man is a lunatic

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.