Turn on thread page Beta

Maintenance loan, 2nd year entry, EU and almost 4 years in UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So,I'm about to start a course at a university. Skipping 1st year as I was allowed a second-year entry. By the time it starts (a week from now) I'll have been in England for almost 4 years (3 years and 360 days). I am a EU national.The rule is that I qualify as a "Home Student" if I've been here 3 years prior to the course start date. The course already started "without me" a year ago and I am 6 days short for it to be 3 years. According to a woman from Student Finance Enquiry it counts to when the course start. Not to when I start (enroll).Is anyone familiar with such cases? Would a good course of action be to apply and hope for the best (6 days I mean, I won't risk lying to them lol).Please don't post if you're guessing.Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    The answer is NO btw. Similar questions have been asked so might be helpful: EU students are eligible for the maintenance loan when they've been in the UK for 3 years 1st of September of the year the course starts. hope sb finds it helpful
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It also has to be 3 years for reasons other than education.

ReputationRep:
    It just seems unfair to treat sb differently only because they start university from 2nd year instead of 1st, I'm starting uni 3 years and 11 months after coming to UK and who cares its from year two. Do you think if I do apply and then appeal (why not make an exception) or is there some legal aspect of it.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.