Turn on thread page Beta

What are some good revison tips on passing all your GCSE's? watch

ReputationRep:
    Please answer below on your experiences for ones that have already done their GCSE's.
    Is it just how hard you work and setting yourself tasks to do for each subject?

ReputationRep:
    For me I revised by doing lots of past papers and learnt from mistakes. Some may suggest to read the examiner's reports but I didn't do that. In order to learn the content of my subjects I pretended to teach imaginary students ( I know it sounds sad but hey) but you can teach real people if you like,

ReputationRep:
    Just a few that really helped me:

1) Rate all of your subjects from those that you find easiest and do best in to those you find hardest and do worst in.

2) Create a revision timetable, with a realistic amount each day at times that you know you'll be able to do it. Throughout the course of a week, assign more time to your weaker subjects than your stronger one, as determined by the above step. Stick to this wherever possible, because it will help.

3) Don't just reread notes/textbooks/revision guides. That's a passive process, and although you'll think you remember things, you'll come to the exam and realise that it went into short-term, not long-term memory. Instead, remake notes - not necessarily for absolutely everything, but certainly for the things you find hardest, and for heavily factual things, e.g. geography case studies, historical enquiries. Don't just copy past notes, but condense them to the salient points - that forces you to process the information. Use colours, images, whatever - make it a creative process and it might become very slightly less tedious.

4) Especially for maths and sciences, but others too: past papers! Lots of them. Not only will this highlight the things you know and the things you don't, allowing for targeted revision, but you might even find that questions will recur year on year in slightly modified forms - it's a lot easier to do a question that you've done before.

5) Ask your teachers what they think you've shown yourself to be better or worse at - they know your work almost as well as you. If your language reading is good, but listening needs work, find listening past papers. Basically like the above points, but target
    your revision within specific subjects as well as between each subject.

6) Start early. If you can begin at a low level at, say, February half term, you'll be well on the way by Easter when many others won't even have picked themselves up yet, and you'll be able to get all this done.

7) For, say, your hardest subject or two subjects, the evening after each lesson from now, summarise the key points or notes of the lesson, just for five or 10 minutes. It sounds nerdy (well, it is) but nerdiness gets good grades. I didn't try this, but I know people who did, and they say it works. Even if you only do it where a particularly complex idea has been introduced, it'll help that go in.

EDIT: 8) (This has been added above, and it's a good point, so I'll put it on my list) Explain topics to other people - parents, siblings, pets, sofa, whatever. Teaching things helps you understand them sometimes, or even shows when you don't, or when there are holes in your knowledge. If you can't get someone else to understand something (OK, maybe the pet or the sofa won't) then are you sure you understand?

ReputationRep:
    Well for me I just revised as soon as possible and I focused on one subject each week and hopefully, i will pass them the first time.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.