Awaiting gcse results? Watch

This discussion is closed.
ƒlå®è®
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
lol this thread has come a long way since i last was here, but rememeber this thread was intended for people who are awaiting their gcse results, not a quarrel over sixth forms/colleges and which is better .

Anyways 2 weeks left till the 21st, hope everyone does very well and get what they deserve .

ƒlå®è®
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ƒlå®è®)
lol this thread has come a long way since i last was here, but rememeber this thread was intended for people who are awaiting their gcse results, not a quarrel over sixth forms/colleges and which is better .

Anyways 2 weeks left till the 21st, hope everyone does very well and get what they deserve .

ƒlå®è®
We've worked our way through GCSEs and have now moved to A-levels. We'll be talking about unis next (Indeed, we have already touched on unis).
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Clitheroe Royal Grammar School Sixth Form Centre

here are our AS-level results in 2002

and A-level results 2002
Indeed, 325th of 2241, nationally, and 3rd of 28 regionally. (at A-Level), and joint 192nd of 3571 nationally, and 4th of 94 regionally (at GCSE).

Garibaldi:
1875 of 3571 GCSE
2060 of 2241 A Level.

Now alot could be down to the calibre of intake, I wish league tables were based somepart on what the level of entry of the pupil is regarding KS3 scores for GCSE, and GCSE grades for A Level.

The gap of around 1700 places in both category does say a whole lot - however employers are unlikely to see your A Level certificate and see where it was gained and make conclusions based upon that, after all, all subjects are in line with QCA criterium.

It would just appear that more of the top grades will come from Huntroydes centre, as apposed to MJG's. This is not to say that either centre cannot produce candidates with the higher grades, if entry levels at Garibaldi 6th Form are as low as they appear to be, then it is natural that they will produce a lower average A Level score.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
Indeed, 325th of 2241, nationally, and 3rd of 28 regionally. (at A-Level), and joint 192nd of 3571 nationally, and 4th of 94 regionally (at GCSE).

Garibaldi:
1875 of 3571 GCSE
2060 of 2241 A Level.

Now alot could be down to the calibre of intake, I wish league tables were based somepart on what the level of entry of the pupil is regarding KS3 scores for GCSE, and GCSE grades for A Level.

The gap of around 1700 places in both category does say a whole lot - however employers are unlikely to see your A Level certificate and see where it was gained and make conclusions based upon that, after all, all subjects are in line with QCA criterium.

It would just appear that more of the top grades will come from Huntroydes centre, as apposed to MJG's. This is not to say that either centre cannot produce candidates with the higher grades, if entry levels at Garibaldi 6th Form are as low as they appear to be, then it is natural that they will produce a lower average A Level score.
If you look at our competition regionally it comes down to half a % between us, Lancaster and Bacup and Rawtenstall. And we have a much better local reputation than B & R, our headmaster went to B&R and he often gloats because they get a few hundred sitting the enterance exam and we get a few thousand.

At one time we were 20th in the country at GCSE.

As you can see, our large intake at A-level lets us down slightly, but standards on the whole, paticularly for sixth formers who went to the main grammar school. We get above 97% passes in all A-levels subjects, most 99/100%. In 2002 we only got 99% pass rate at GCSE so Lancaster and B&R beat us but we're all very close and as I said, we have the best reputation in the area and a lot of history and prestige (CRGS was founded in 1554) which makes us feel like a private school.

We do far better than nearby Stoneyhurst, a very expensive private school.
The Main Don
Report 16 years ago
Did anyone take their Maths Gcse in november, since our school really only does the Intermediate paper the top two class took the paper early (Me) and were given our results in January.

Hell yes forme as i got given my result and i got my B, now for all those who did get B's we had to then study for the Higher paper which we sat wiht the rest of our GCSE's. the the majority we were all chuffed with our B's and wanted to study other subjects so really we had a free lesson every time we had maths SORTED!

Hopefully next year I'll be doing
Politics / Economics / Philosophy / English Lit & Lang.

Apparntly the 6th formers there all take General Studies aswell anyone taken it and tell me what is about?

Also I'm wondering wether to change English Lit & Lang to just Lit. Does anyone know if this would be a wise option and can you explain the differences and is Lit more prefered an Uni

Thanks all[/FONT]
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by The Main Don)
Did anyone take their Maths Gcse in november, since our school really only does the Intermediate paper the top two class took the paper early (Me) and were given our results in January.

Hell yes forme as i got given my result and i got my B, now for all those who did get B's we had to then study for the Higher paper which we sat wiht the rest of our GCSE's. the the majority we were all chuffed with our B's and wanted to study other subjects so really we had a free lesson every time we had maths SORTED!

Hopefully next year I'll be doing
Politics / Economics / Philosophy / English Lit & Lang.

Apparntly the 6th formers there all take General Studies aswell anyone taken it and tell me what is about?

Also I'm wondering wether to change English Lit & Lang to just Lit. Does anyone know if this would be a wise option and can you explain the differences and is Lit more prefered an Uni

Thanks all[/FONT]
You posted this on a different page, and I asked you a question on a different page. As you have re-posted, so shall I.

Do you want to do PPE at uni? That's the course I want to do and your subject choices look similar to the ones I'm going to do, except my school does not do A-level philosophy but I'll do Religious and Ethical Studies as this is very similar.
Sza
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lord geeza - have you just finished GCSE's?
or have you just finished AS's?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sza)
lord geeza - have you just finished GCSE's?
or have you just finished AS's?
I'll take my GCSEs in 2004. I realise I have given the education thing more thought than most people my age.
Sza
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'll take my GCSEs in 2004. I realise I have given the education thing more thought than most people my age.
your telling me - pretty mature for your age, has to be said - well done.
So you wanna do PPE eh? - at Oxford i assume.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sza)
your telling me - pretty mature for your age, has to be said - well done.
So you wanna do PPE eh? - at Oxford i assume.
I don't see any reason why I should not apply to Oxford;

But other excellant unis offer PPE too such as York, Warwick, Durham and I think Nottingham.
mjg
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
That's a good point. How many unis accept EEU? or was it DEU?
UUE actualluy m8. predicted ABC and have conditional offer from TVU!
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mjg)
UUE actualluy m8. predicted ABC and have conditional offer from TVU!
You know that TVU is ranked as the worst university in the UK by both The Times and The Guardian? Which course are you doing and what was your offer. Make sure to post back on Thursday so we can all see how you did.
mjg
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
You know that TVU is ranked as the worst university in the UK by both The Times and The Guardian? Which course are you doing and what was your offer. Make sure to post back on Thursday so we can all see how you did.
Yeah but i head its 1 of the best. the ppl r nice too. hoping 2 study culinairy arts management. cant remember grades i need but prob quite high as its v.good coarse.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mjg)
Yeah but i head its 1 of the best. the ppl r nice too. hoping 2 study culinairy arts management. cant remember grades i need but prob quite high as its v.good coarse.
You may have been told it's one of the best, but it is the worst. I can't imagine there is much competition of a high calibre even in a vocational degree such as that, there are many institutions which offer similar courses at a higher standard such as:

Loughborough, Bangor, Birmingham, Westminster, Brunel, Liverpool John Moores, Hertfordshire, Sheffield Hallam, Surrey, Durham, Essex, Strathclyde, Bath, Ulster, Manchester, Brighton, Manchester Metropolitan, Plymouth, Leeds Metropolitan, De Montfort, Dundee, Nottingham Trent, Bournemouth, Oxford Brookes, South Bank, Central Lancashire, Staffordshire, Napier.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
You may have been told it's one of the best, but it is the worst. I can't imagine there is much competition of a high calibre even in a vocational degree such as that, there are many institutions which offer similar courses at a higher standard such as:

Loughborough, Bangor, Birmingham, Westminster, Brunel, Liverpool John Moores, Hertfordshire, Sheffield Hallam, Surrey, Durham, Essex, Strathclyde, Bath, Ulster, Manchester, Brighton, Manchester Metropolitan, Plymouth, Leeds Metropolitan, De Montfort, Dundee, Nottingham Trent, Bournemouth, Oxford Brookes, South Bank, Central Lancashire, Staffordshire, Napier.
2 b fair itz still a vgud uni my m8 says it better than ox4d. i now ur jealooos of me cos im off 2 uni + predicted gud grades but u shud schill out. im shure u will do well wen u do urs.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
2 b fair itz still a vgud uni my m8 says it better than ox4d. i now ur jealooos of me cos im off 2 uni + predicted gud grades but u shud schill out. im shure u will do well wen u do urs.
Why don't you learn.... ? :rolleyes:

Erm, NOPE, congratulations on going to a university, but we are certainly not jealous of where you are going.

"Better than Oxford" I hope that was a joke, because I can tell you for a fact that TVU isn't, your mate is definately mistaken. You may be predicted decent grades, but if that is the case how did you perform so badly first sitting ?! And why would your teachers predict you such grades in their referee's statement.

I've said to you before, and I'll say it again, your performances have been nothing spectacular and I can promise you that there are people that will perform far better than post on this board so don't go making the case that you rule above everyone here.
The sun does not shine out of your backside, let me make that clear.

A change of attitude would serve you well before you go to any University, you are going to be dealing with people who are older, wiser, and may have less patience than some of us have shown you.

Good Luck all the Same.
mjg
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
faire point. i mite post my results on here after i get theme.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
Why don't you learn.... ? :rolleyes:

Erm, NOPE, congratulations on going to a university, but we are certainly not jealous of where you are going.

"Better than Oxford" I hope that was a joke, because I can tell you for a fact that TVU isn't, your mate is definately mistaken. You may be predicted decent grades, but if that is the case how did you perform so badly first sitting ?! And why would your teachers predict you such grades in their referee's statement.

I've said to you before, and I'll say it again, your performances have been nothing spectacular and I can promise you that there are people that will perform far better than post on this board so don't go making the case that you rule above everyone here.
The sun does not shine out of your backside, let me make that clear.

A change of attitude would serve you well before you go to any University, you are going to be dealing with people who are older, wiser, and may have less patience than some of us have shown you.

Good Luck all the Same.
This guy just likes making comments like 'I heard TVU is the best in the country' to try to get at people. He probably isn't even starting uni, but likes to pretend that he is really good.

Quite pathetic, really.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hiya people

Im absolutley dreading the results day!

I messed about all year and thought Id b able 2 pull it off + get good results still coz I managed it in my sats in yr 9. Big mistake! Ive neva bin worried abot exams b4 in my life but bcoz of the importance of this exam being stressed 2 me SO often I now am stressed about them! (Thanx alot)

I originally took the following subjects:

English lang/lit, Maths, French, Science (double), RE, IT, Drama + Art

but the RE course is only woth 1/2 a GCSE + (becoz of my lack of work) my art also is too.

Ive undoubtably failed IT bcoz I only did 2 out of 3 pieces of coursework + the coursework makes up 60% of the final grade

Ive also undoubtably failed Science since I didn't even complete 1 piece of coursework and I didn't hav a clue wot the exam paper was about

+ 2 top it all off I dropped drama coz our new teacher who started on the second year of the course didnt hav a clue wot he was supposed 2 b teaching us.

I am supposed 2 b bright and was entered for all the higher tier papers which makes it even more difficult for the subjects i did no course work in bcoz if I don't get at least a C I get given a U!!!

Should I pass the other 4 and 1/2 GCSE's I will be studying the following A-levels in September:

Psychology, Sociology, Pre-teaching, Englishlang/lit

And the following GCSE (coz I know I aint gonna pass it):
Human Biology

Just thought I'd let u no since I needed 2 get that off my chest so badly since May!!!

cheers 4 listnin
vikki xx
Suk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You need 160points for that TVU course, which is equal to DDE at A2.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.77%
Terrified (382)
22.18%
Meh (173)
10.05%
Confused (37)
2.15%