Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Physics - Momentum/Impulse Question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A tennis ball with no initial horizontal velocity leaves a tennis raquet with a horizontal speed of 58ms^-1. The mass of the ball is 0.060kg.

a) calculate the impulse given to the ball

i understand that impulse = change of momentum; impulse = 58 * 0.060; = 3.48kgms^-1

b) if the time of contact with the racquet is 0.025 s, calculate the average force exerted on the ball.

impulse = force * time; 3.48 * 0.025; but this doesn't seem to be the correct answer. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nofronting)
    A tennis ball with no initial horizontal velocity leaves a tennis raquet with a horizontal speed of 58ms^-1. The mass of the ball is 0.060kg.

i understand that impulse = change of momentum; impulse = 58 * 0.060; = 3.48kgms^-1

b) if the time of contact with the racquet is 0.025 s, calculate the average force exerted on the ball.

impulse = force * time; 3.48 * 0.025; but this doesn't seem to be the correct answer. Any suggestions?
    The impulse = 3.48 so force = 3.48/0.025 = 139.2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nofronting)

i understand that impulse = change of momentum; impulse = 58 * 0.060; = 3.48kgms^-2

b) impulse = F*t
    t= 0.025
    impulse = 3.48

i.e. 3.48 = F * 0.025
    i.e F= 139.2

Is that better?

ReputationRep:
    Aha, solved by units, but i still don't "understand" how to get to the answer.

unit of force = N(kgms^-2); unit of time = second(s).
    we know that the unit of an impulse is: kgms^-1. The get the units to kgms^-1 i would have to divide kgms^-1 into s which is equal to kgms^-1; so the force exerted on the ball is the the impulse/momentum divided into the time of contact with the ball.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thanks.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.