Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at Unistats and MPhys students from Oxford earn a lot more than NatSci students form Cambridge, not that I got to select if the stats were for bachelors or masters on the NatSci course. Do employers regard Cambridge NatSci as less valuable as an Oxford Physics degree?

I heard that Cambridge would cover all the Physics that Oxford does, but I would prefer to apply for Natural Sciences as I would like to spend the first year doing some other options as well. However if employers value it less then I may have to rethink my options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlazeMonkey)
    Do employers regard Cambridge NatSci as less valuable as an Oxford Physics degree?
    No. The Cambridge NatSci average salary is about the same as Oxford BA Physics and half way between Oxford MPhys and BA Biological Sciences, which is what I'd expect to see.

If you want a course that allows you to study other options, you should definitely be applying for NatSci at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford, don't waste your time doing chemistry and pure maths alongside it like you do at Cambridge if you know you just want to do physics, not to mention it basically means you HAVE to do well in four A-levels.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BlazeMonkey)
    I was looking at Unistats and MPhys students from Oxford earn a lot more than NatSci students form Cambridge, not that I got to select if the stats were for bachelors or masters on the NatSci course. Do employers regard Cambridge NatSci as less valuable as an Oxford Physics degree?

I heard that Cambridge would cover all the Physics that Oxford does, but I would prefer to apply for Natural Sciences as I would like to spend the first year doing some other options as well. However if employers value it less then I may have to rethink my options.
    I doubt that Cambridge will cover all of the Physics that Oxford does since you will have spent an entire extra year studying Physics at Oxford than at Cambridge. From what I remember, they say that you get to a similar depth of knowledge at Cambridge but the Oxford course is broader. Having said that, If Natural Sciences is what you want to do, go for it - they're both great courses.
    (Original post by 雷尼克)
    Oxford, don't waste your time doing chemistry and pure maths alongside it like you do at Cambridge if you know you just want to do physics, not to mention it basically means you HAVE to do well in four A-levels.
    But the OP said s/he wanted to do other options? Anyway, you don't have to do Chemistry if you don't want to and I definitely wouldn't call it a waste of time given how multidisciplinary science is becoming.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    But the OP said s/he wanted to do other options? Anyway, you don't have to do Chemistry if you don't want to and I definitely wouldn't call it a waste of time given how multidisciplinary science is becoming.
    ^this.

And as you progress there can be a lot of Physics...
    Physics handbook pdf:
    http://www.phy.cam.ac.uk/students/te...s/Handbook.pdf

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.