The Student Room Group

Psychology Personal statement help!

Hi! It says it all in the title. I'm struggling to write a personal statement for psychology- the main issue is how cliche it is. What sort of things do I need to mention/demonstrate? The hardest part, however, is how to open it; most of the personal statements I've read start with 'I have had a fascination with the mind since I was young'. I want something more original and would like some ideas. Any help would be increeedibly appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
Even though I have no experience of writing a psychology PS, do not, for god's sake, start with "since a young age blah blah blah". I think the best thing to start a PS with is a moment which switched a lightblub on in your mind and pushed you to apply for the course. Was it a lesson, a lecture, a news story etc.? This is far more effective as it shows the admissions officer how your mind works, which area of the course you might be interested in and actual genuine proof of interest. Also, if it was a book/news story/lecture, it's also indirect proof of super-curricular stuff :smile: Good luck!
Reply 2
I agree with @harina10

What you can do is, look at the psychology section in the prospectus of all the unis you are applying for and look for similarities. This will give you ideas on what to research and talk about.

Do research into what psychology is about and write about how your current course will help you on the degree, so for example, if you're doing maths, you can say something like my maths lessons will help me when dealing with statistics etc

Research psychological debates and talk about what your learnt from them and you state your opinion briefly but then you can say that studying psychology will help you look into whatever it is that you've researched

The main thing to do throughout your statement is whenever you mention an activity or an idea, like it back to how i will help you at uni in general and how it will help you study the course

Hope that makes sense, good luck :smile:
Look at the guidance in my sig - the PS builder and the subject specific article for psychology :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by *Interrobang*
Look at the guidance in my sig - the PS builder and the subject specific article for psychology :smile:

Hi Interrobang,
I can't see your sig for some reason , do you have a link by any chance ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bbashy
Hi Interrobang,
I can't see your sig for some reason , do you have a link by any chance ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to go on the desktop to see signatures I think... But this page links you to both the tool and the article: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Subject_guides_to_writing_a_Personal_Statement
Reply 6
Original post by *Interrobang*
You have to go on the desktop to see signatures I think... But this page links you to both the tool and the article: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Subject_guides_to_writing_a_Personal_Statement

Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest