Should I base my EPQ on desired University course?

Watch
aprileliza
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I'm wanting to study Psychology at University. Should I be doing an EPQ based around a topic related to Psychology or will they be impressed regardless of the topic? For example would they prefer a topic based on mental illness more over feminism?
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aprileliza)
So I'm wanting to study Psychology at University. Should I be doing an EPQ based around a topic related to Psychology or will they be impressed regardless of the topic? For example would they prefer a topic based on mental illness more over feminism?
I think doing an EPQ related to your university course is a good idea, as it shows that you are committed to learning about that subject. However, universities often like applicants who have done an EPQ regardless of the topic, as it develops lots of useful skills like essay-writing, referencing and public speaking
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
I think doing an EPQ related to your university course is a good idea, as it shows that you are committed to learning about that subject. However, universities often like applicants who have done an EPQ regardless of the topic, as it develops lots of useful skills like essay-writing, referencing and public speaking
Started writing, realised I was about to say exactly this
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alexion)
Started writing, realised I was about to say exactly this
Great minds think alike
harina10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think doing it on your chosen uni course is probably the best option, it's like a super-curricular, shows interest and would further help show commitment to the subject to the admissions officers. Also, Royal Holloway and Sussex representatives told me at a UCAS convention that EPQs (especially if based on the uni course) could lower the entry requirements!!

Good luck
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Great minds think alike
I'm in two minds about mine. Either I do it on Graphics Processing or how Anime has become so popular in the western world... I still haven't decided :3

It's kinda the same situation as aprileliza is in
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in two minds about mine. Either I do it on Graphics Processing or how Anime has become so popular in the western world... I still haven't decided :3

It's kinda the same situation as aprileliza is in
Do you have any idea what course you would like to do at university?
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you have any idea what course you would like to do at university?
Yep, Electronic Engineering (I'm applying for 2016 entry).

It's stuff I like as a subject vs stuff I like as a pastime...
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep, Electronic Engineering (I'm applying for 2016 entry).

It's stuff I like as a subject vs stuff I like as a hobby...
Ooh that sounds interesting.... and difficult

Which do you think would be easier and or/more enjoyable to write about, i.e. which would be easier to form a question for which you can give arguments for and against in your answer, which would be easier to research etc?
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ooh that sounds interesting.... and difficult

Which do you think would be easier and or/more enjoyable to write about, i.e. which would be easier to form a question for which you can give arguments for and against in your answer, which would be easier to research etc?
Ah, Lord only knows this.

I'd say Electronics without a doubt. Much easier to research and talk about, as I already know a lot about the topic.

On the other hand, Anime is something that I want to know more about...
aprileliza
Rep:
?
Problem is I have a good idea of what to write for Feminism, but I'm not entirely sure what I can do that's original linked with Psychology that'll take up 5000 words. I could potentially get a worse grade choosing the Psychology linked one.
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah, Lord only knows this.

I'd say Electronics without a doubt. Much easier to research and talk about, as I already know a lot about the topic.

On the other hand, Anime is something that I want to know more about...
If you think that electronics would be a lot easier to research and write about, then I would go with that. As you want to do electronic engineering as a degree, it'll show admissions tutors that you are really interested in it and committed to studying it, which will undoubtedly make your application stronger. If you did your EPQ about Anime, there's a possibility that you might get halfway through the essay and then run out of stuff to talk about, which is a bit tricky to sort out.

I've already done my EPQ by the way, and got an A in it, if you have any general questions about it as well
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you think that electronics would be a lot easier to research and write about, then I would go with that. As you want to do electronic engineering as a degree, it'll show admissions tutors that you are really interested in it and committed to studying it, which will undoubtedly make your application stronger. If you did your EPQ about Anime, there's a possibility that you might get halfway through the essay and then running out of stuff to talk about, which is a bit tricky to sort out.

I've already done my EPQ by the way, and got an A in it, if you have any general questions about it as well
Yeah, I think Electronics is the way to go I was supposed to do most of it last year, but haven't got started 'cause I was concentrating on actual subject work...
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Problem is I have a good idea of what to write for Feminism, but I'm not entirely sure what I can do that's original linked with Psychology that'll take up 5000 words. I could potentially get a worse grade choosing the Psychology linked one.
In that case, I would choose a feminism-related topic, making sure to mention all the skills you gained from doing an EPQ in your personal statement, to show that it was worthwhile and how it was beneficial preparation for university study etc
angelcake123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its good to have it linked to your uni course. But if ends not being linked, don't worry, you can just say you're a well rounded person with many interests. However your greatest interest is your desired course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, I think Electronics is the way to go I was supposed to do most of it last year, but haven't got started 'cause I was concentrating on actual subject work...
Awesome! Let me know if you have any more EPQ questions - looking at TSR I've noticed that lots of schools (mine included) seem to be rather useless at explaining what to do
Louiseee_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
On one hand, writing about something you want to study is good because you can talk about it in your personal statement (however, I personally think it's better to leave it out of your PS because a lot of people at my college dropped out around Christmas because they found it too difficult to do it and get good A2 grades). At the end of the day, pick something you like! I don't want to put you off, but EPQ is very time consuming- I used to set aside a two hour free every week just for research and then maybe another 2-3 hours planning plus a one hour meeting with my supervisor (although I didn't go to that a lot lmao). You also have to be able to write 5,000 words on it and give a presentation - these are a lot easier if you're writing about something you're interetsed in or feel strongly about.

Maybe you could link the two together? Maybe talk about the psychology of the objectification of women or the male gaze? How about discussing whether some psychologists have quite sexist views of women? *cough*Freud*cough*
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well presumably, the subject you're applying for at university is one that you're really interested in so you'd want to do an EPQ on it anyway? The EPQ is generally useful for project management skills but it's also a very good opportunity for you to get a very detailed understanding of some aspect of your subject so it would definitely be helpful if it was psychology related. I don't know if you get interviews for psychology but if you do, it would also help for giving you something to talk about there. More generally, a psychology-related EPQ would be better for your Personal Statement because you can actually make direct links between that and your subject.
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, 5000 is the maximum we were told it should be between 3000 and 5000
aprileliza
Rep:
?
(Original post by Louiseee_)
On one hand, writing about something you want to study is good because you can talk about it in your personal statement (however, I personally think it's better to leave it out of your PS because a lot of people at my college dropped out around Christmas because they found it too difficult to do it and get good A2 grades). At the end of the day, pick something you like! I don't want to put you off, but EPQ is very time consuming- I used to set aside a two hour free every week just for research and then maybe another 2-3 hours planning plus a one hour meeting with my supervisor (although I didn't go to that a lot lmao). You also have to be able to write 5,000 words on it and give a presentation - these are a lot easier if you're writing about something you're interetsed in or feel strongly about.

Maybe you could link the two together? Maybe talk about the psychology of the objectification of women or the male gaze? How about discussing whether some psychologists have quite sexist views of women? *cough*Freud*cough*
Yeah I was thinking that. My supervisor recommended a minimum of 2 hours per week out of college plus more during my frees and then the 1 hour session.

That's true, I wanted to do it on how corrupt this modern Feminism is though, how it's turned into more of a man-hating cult. I can't think of how I could link that to Psychology, though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (509)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.44%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (308)
20.36%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.56%

Watched Threads