The Student Room Group

FP3 or S2???

I'm unsure about which module to do for further maths. I'm really not good at statistics (C in S1) but I got pretty good grades in the pure module for maths and fm (100UMS-C1, 96UMS-C2, 94UMS-FP1). If I do decide to do S2 I'll have to self teach but a teacher in school has volunteered to teach me fp3. How hard really is fp3? Do my chances at getting a good grade lie more with S2 since it's supposed to be easier?
Reply 1
Original post by jwall
I'm unsure about which module to do for further maths. I'm really not good at statistics (C in S1) but I got pretty good grades in the pure module for maths and fm (100UMS-C1, 96UMS-C2, 94UMS-FP1). If I do decide to do S2 I'll have to self teach but a teacher in school has volunteered to teach me fp3. How hard really is fp3? Do my chances at getting a good grade lie more with S2 since it's supposed to be easier?

Is the board EDEXCEL?
what percentage are you hoping to get from either of these 2 modules?
clearly your mathematical strengths lie in core topics so i would definitely go with FP3 if i were you. you will most probably do better in it and enjoy it more. that can't be said for most people!
Reply 3
Original post by tanyapotter
clearly your mathematical strengths lie in core topics so i would definitely go with FP3 if i were you. you will most probably do better in it and enjoy it more. that can't be said for most people!

Yeah you're right about that, I wouldn't be able to stand doing statistics especially by myself.
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
Is the board EDEXCEL?
what percentage are you hoping to get from either of these 2 modules?

I am trying to aim for an A* overall so at least 90 UMS in either FP3/S2 would be helpful.
Reply 5
Original post by jwall
I am trying to aim for an A* overall so at least 90 UMS in either FP3/S2 would be helpful.

S2 is easier to grasp but it has horrendously high boundaries.

FP3 is far harder and requires an enormous amount of work on your part.

It is a close call ... My advice to to leave this decision after you do FP2
Original post by jwall

I completed maths and further maths last year, I would advise you NOT to do FP3. Out of about 16 of us only 2 ppl did it, it is extreeemely hard. S2 on the other hand is different to S1, alot of ppl who did bad on S1 did much better with S2, it is easier in my opinion. You can easily learn S2, just go on examsolutions and watch the videos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by TeeEm
S2 is easier to grasp but it has horrendously high boundaries.

FP3 is far harder and requires an enormous amount of work on your part.

It is a close call ... My advice to to leave this decision after you do FP2

What if I had to choose sooner?
I'm just worried as I'm already self teaching D2 and M2 and self taught all of FM AS last year. It was really stressful and to do it again but with stats this time round is just something else. Having someone teach you it would be a nice change even if it is harder.

However, if I get an A I would also be very happy so even 80 UMS.
Reply 8
Original post by jwall

Well, my Further Maths course contains both :h: I thought FP1, 2, and 3 were compulsory for the A-level?
Reply 9
Original post by jwall
What if I had to choose sooner?
I'm just worried as I'm already self teaching D2 and M2 and self taught all of FM AS last year. It was really stressful and to do it again but with stats this time round is just something else. Having someone teach you it would be a nice change even if it is harder.

However, if I get an A I would also be very happy so even 80 UMS.

If you had to choose sooner maybe FP3

Me personally I would have waited to see how FP2 goes first.
Reply 10
How hard did you find it compared to other pure modules? FP2, C3, C4?
Reply 11
S2 is much, much easier than FP3, but there's a catch (as TeeEm said) - the grade boundaries are unforgiving so even a tiny, tiny slip-up, you can say goodbye to your A*. FP3 grade boundaries are usually forgiving, but the content is super hard. I would suggest making this decision after doing a bit of FP2 just to see what A2 further pure is actually like (you might start facing a few challenges midway into chapter 3).
Reply 12
I'd suggest FP3. Although S2 is quite different to, and easier than, S1, there is some stuff that you have to know from S1 and I'd guess you aren't very interested in stats given how much better you did in core. I do consider S2 by the far the easiest module I've done (admittedly I haven't looked much at decision) but FP3 is not too bad to get 90+ in because the boundaries are low and though it is has some of the hardest material a large portion of it is relatively simple to grasp and follows nicely from C4 (if you choose to do FP3 you will want to cover C3 and 4 as fast as possible by the way).

Quick Reply

Latest