Turn on thread page Beta

I don't understand why the answer in the textbook is a factor of 100 out (M3) watch

ReputationRep:
    A girl sets a gyroscope spinning by means of a thread 80cm long. When she has pulled it through x cm, she is exerting a force of (20 + x/4) newtons. Find the kinetic energy of the gyroscope when the whole thread has been pulled through.

Basically I just integrated the function for force with respect to x between the limits of 0 and 80 cm giving 2400J, however the answer in the textbook is 24J. Have I forgotten to do something with the units? Help please.

ReputationRep:
    Convert cm to m?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't give you the answer of 24J, integrating gives 20x + 1/8(x)^2, then using 0.8m as the limits gives 16.08. Not 24.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.