Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I need some help and advice with what I plan to do with my English degree at Ulster Uni in Northern Ireland. I'm just about to start my final year and have been thinking what career I'd like to follow. I've always wanted to be a journalist and have gathered quite a lot of good work experience at local newspapers, magazines and online. I had planned to apply for a NCTJ-accredited MA in Journalism at my university once I graduate. After a masters, I'd like to move to Belfast or London to gain employment with a news company.

However, through my placement this summer at a magazine, I've been put off with how poorly paid journalists are for all the hard work they do. I'm nearly on £9 a hour at my part time job and I'm worried about the poor pay and job prospects journalism has, even though that is what I think I want to do.

I've also thought about teaching as a back up. I'd be interested in taking a year out to be a teaching assistant wit the British Council and gain a TEFL qualification. I enjoy travelling and would love to spend time in Europe as part of a gap year before I commit myself to the world of work. If I did this and discovered I love teaching, I'd consider applying for a PGCE in English, Drama & Media studies .

I know this is a lot of information, but I'd really appreciate some advice with what I should do. Thanks in advance

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.