Turn on thread page Beta

Should I retaliate and deal with everything? watch

At the end of last year, I had an idea for a science project that I discussed with my closest (kind of only) friend. In the end, we put it on crowdfunding, raised the money (my parents contributed a considerable amount and got their friends to donate) while he gave a measly amount and only got 1-2 people to contribute.

I have always viewed this as my project and on its website I am listed as the team leader, while he is on there as well ofc.
    He has been very helpful in the whole thing, no doubt, but he hasn't put in nearly as much effort into the whole thing as I have.
    Upon turning up on the day to perform the actual project, his parents gave the impression they thought it was "our" project, as in something we had worked on equally.
    Since, with all the footage we recorded and made videos, he isn't mentioning me and he is using what I consider to be my project for his school homework and is showing off to his friends with it, claiming credit for something which was done primarily by me.

We both made videos for the project, I did one pretty much by myself and he is doing one with my occasional input. He is regarding the video he edits as "his" and wants to say it is his on facebook etc.

Whenever I bring up the topic he gets sulky and angry with me - however I am simply unable to tolerate him taking credit for a project which was primarily my work.

I am losing patience with this whole act - I've been friends with him for many years and we speak online as we live quite far apart (I'm 15, he 16).
    We will be uploading "his" video onto the project's youtube account soon (under his strict supervision because he doesn't trust me not to remove his blatant copyright notices that it is his video even though it isn't) and he intends to share this video around on facebook claiming it is his.
    I am seriously considering making a facebook copyright notice to have his posts taken down, as the youtube account is mine and registered by me, as well as the project and crowdfunding being mine.
    However, he has copies of all my footage and I fear he will try to claim the project as his - he thinks of it as "our" project rather than mine even though he's done about 5% of the work.

What should I do? Pull the plug, copyright notifications and do my best to revoke access to the footage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    At the end of last year, I had an idea for a science project that I discussed with my closest (kind of only) friend. In the end, we put it on crowdfunding, raised the money (my parents contributed a considerable amount and got their friends to donate) while he gave a measly amount and only got 1-2 people to contribute.

I have always viewed this as my project and on its website I am listed as the team leader, while he is on there as well ofc.
    He has been very helpful in the whole thing, no doubt, but he hasn't put in nearly as much effort into the whole thing as I have.
    Upon turning up on the day to perform the actual project, his parents gave the impression they thought it was "our" project, as in something we had worked on equally.
    Since, with all the footage we recorded and made videos, he isn't mentioning me and he is using what I consider to be my project for his school homework and is showing off to his friends with it, claiming credit for something which was done primarily by me.

We both made videos for the project, I did one pretty much by myself and he is doing one with my occasional input. He is regarding the video he edits as "his" and wants to say it is his on facebook etc.

Whenever I bring up the topic he gets sulky and angry with me - however I am simply unable to tolerate him taking credit for a project which was primarily my work.

I am losing patience with this whole act - I've been friends with him for many years and we speak online as we live quite far apart (I'm 15, he 16).
    We will be uploading "his" video onto the project's youtube account soon (under his strict supervision because he doesn't trust me not to remove his blatant copyright notices that it is his video even though it isn't) and he intends to share this video around on facebook claiming it is his.
    I am seriously considering making a facebook copyright notice to have his posts taken down, as the youtube account is mine and registered by me, as well as the project and crowdfunding being mine.
    However, he has copies of all my footage and I fear he will try to claim the project as his - he thinks of it as "our" project rather than mine even though he's done about 5% of the work.

What should I do? Pull the plug, copyright notifications and do my best to revoke access to the footage?
    Is it your intellectual property with a patent etc or just a group project type thing for school? You need to consider whether its worth your time and effort protecting this project. By the way if your 'friend' isn't gonna be sensible about this, its time to find someone who will.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by TechRaid3r)
    Is it your intellectual property with a patent etc or just a group project type thing for school? You need to consider whether its worth your time and effort protecting this project. By the way if your 'friend' isn't gonna be sensible about this, its time to find someone who will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not intellectual property. It's a science-fun project that I did in my free time - I myself am homeschooled.
    It is worth my time - he is ripping off everything, taking credit etc.
    This project has been in local media and I intend to use it on my university application form (I'm 15).

My problem is that I like this friend in all other aspects - he has control over me though because he is taking credit for everything. He's been sharing the video with classrooms and using it as homework, sharing pictures with his teachers (he goes to school).

ReputationRep:
    It's not intellectual property. It's a science-fun project that I did in my free time - I myself am homeschooled.
    It is worth my time - he is ripping off everything, taking credit etc.
    This project has been in local media and I intend to use it on my university application form (I'm 15).

My problem is that I like this friend in all other aspects - he has control over me though because he is taking credit for everything. He's been sharing the video with classrooms and using it as homework, sharing pictures with his teachers (he goes to school).
    I see. Well the problem is that as this is a project that you've done yourself and he's not benefitting financially, its not like you can take legal action against him(I'm sure you don't intend to either).

It definitely is wrong for him to take credit for it and submit it as his own work - this is unacceptable both morally and academically. It is up to your own judgement as to whether or not his other qualities outweigh the one of taking credit for your work. Personally I wouldn't be able to stand someone like that especially since he won't acknowledge and apologise for it. I would feel very used.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by TechRaid3r)
    I see. Well the problem is that as this is a project that you've done yourself and he's not benefitting financially, its not like you can take legal action against him(I'm sure you don't intend to either).

It definitely is wrong for him to take credit for it and submit it as his own work - this is unacceptable both morally and academically. It is up to your own judgement as to whether or not his other qualities outweigh the one of taking credit for your work. Personally I wouldn't be able to stand someone like that especially since he won't acknowledge and apologise for it. I would feel very used.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    While not benefitting financially, he is benefitting socially and getting attention and credit from his friends online for it. He also talks about it with them and uses "our" project as homework. He even had the ****ing cheek to put his name first on the some copyright he invented on the image for his physics homework "His name and my name copyright 2015" when it is MY PROJECT.When I confronted him about it he openly admitted that he did it to make a good impression with his new teacher and he wouldn't change it.I do feel used - especially since he appears to have somewhat misled his own friends, family and parents over the amount of involvement he has actually had in the development of the project itself.Whenever I approach this subject, he immediately threatens to take the footage and copyright it, upload it on his own sources and publicise it amongst his friends. He says "edit it yourself then" and goes into day-long sulks where he won't talk to me and speaks to me in a rude manner.He also frequently refers to me as nasty and selfish purely because I want credit for my project! I am seriously considering pulling everything out from under him to stop him taking more.

ReputationRep:
    While not benefitting financially, he is benefitting socially and getting attention and credit from his friends online for it. He also talks about it with them and uses "our" project as homework. He even had the ****ing cheek to put his name first on the some copyright he invented on the image for his physics homework "His name and my name copyright 2015" when it is MY PROJECT.When I confronted him about it he openly admitted that he did it to make a good impression with his new teacher and he wouldn't change it.I do feel used - especially since he appears to have somewhat misled his own friends, family and parents over the amount of involvement he has actually had in the development of the project itself.Whenever I approach this subject, he immediately threatens to take the footage and copyright it, upload it on his own sources and publicise it amongst his friends. He says "edit it yourself then" and goes into day-long sulks where he won't talk to me and speaks to me in a rude manner.He also frequently refers to me as nasty and selfish purely because I want credit for my project! I am seriously considering pulling everything out from under him to stop him taking more.
    He is your friend and as a friend he shouldn't be doing such things. He knows he's taking advantage of you. If he would rather enjoy his so called 'fame' than be friends with you, maybe it's time to sever ties. Of course you can reclaim your credit and publicise it yourself etc if you so wish. But toxic friendships are not healthy at all. You have confronted him about this and if he really does undervalue your friendship like that then he's an ungrateful **** . I know you seem to like him otherwise but clearly he doesn't value your dignity and respect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.