Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've had ignorant workers say 'ni hao' to my face plenty of times despite the fact that I'm not Chinese and I'm not a tourist. I'm Vietnamese.

I was with my friends today at Westfield (Stratford) then this guy at a stand who I think was selling beauty products yelling 'ni hao' since I was quite distant from him. I was at the far side. He doesn't even bother calling my white friends but me.
    I get that Asians bring the moolah but 'ni hao'?! I'm offended.

I've had a worker at Debenhams (selling beauty products in Oxford Street) saying 'ni hao' quite loudly. I was just walking past with my mum, heading for the exit but he manages to edge a word in before we leave saying 'ni hao' then he rambles on in Mandarin which I don't understand. It seemed like he was showing off his language skills than attract us. -_-

TO ANYONE THAT WORKS IN STANDS, not all yellow people are Chinese. We are Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino, Japanese, Korean etc. And for some of the Asians, we have English as a first language. It's nice to know that these workers have great language skills but I find it very ignorant! It's not even a racist act but pure ignorance. I still feel very offended.

The message is... JUST USE ENGLISH for god's sake.

End of rant. Lol. I needed to express my anger. Anyone that experiences this or anything similar?

ReputationRep:
    OMG that must be super annoying D: what part of the UK do you live in?
    People can be so silly T_T i learn japanese and when i tell people that they are like 'ohh ni hao' too :'] its like is this the only word people know??? You need a card to hand to these people which has a sarcastic message on it haha XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hevachan)
    OMG that must be super annoying D: what part of the UK do you live in?
    People can be so silly T_T i learn japanese and when i tell people that they are like 'ohh ni hao' too :'] its like is this the only word people know??? You need a card to hand to these people which has a sarcastic message on it haha XD
    London.
    So ignorant... we all know it's konichwa. Something like that lol.
    I'm like why bother if you don't exactly know the person's race/language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hai_Ann)
    London.
    So ignorant... we all know it's konichwa. Something like that lol.
    I'm like why bother if you don't exactly know the person's race/language.
    OH really? I'm suprised, I would have thought people would be better in London as its quite diverse!
    Indeed T_T

ReputationRep:
    ni hao?

ReputationRep:
    OH really? I'm suprised, I would have thought people would be better in London as its quite diverse!
    Indeed T_T

I don't think there's that many Oriental Asians in London though.
    It's probably because many aren't exposed to that side especially the older gen :/ but those guys at the stands looked like they were in their 20's.
    Most Asians here usually hang out with each other rather than go out with other racial people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    ni hao?
    Hello.

Even if another person utters those words in front of me with harmless intentions, I'd scream. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's that many Oriental Asians in London though.
    It's probably because many aren't exposed to that side especially the older gen :/ but those guys at the stands looked like they were in their 20's.
    Most Asians here usually hang out with each other rather than go out with other racial people.
    Ahh D: so weird..
    Yeahh I noticed that.. its annoying because I always want to be friends but then I'm like do they hate me? D: haha XD
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Even though I can't relate, my Korean friend was ready to jab anyone in the eye who even called her Chinese :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I'm Chinese when I went to uni, other students from mainland China quickly formed their little cliques. I wasn't so keen on joining them because I'm actually from Singapore where the standard of Chinese taught is much much poorer. My sister and even my mother didn't get closer to mainland Chinese people when they went to uni either, despite being more confident in the language than I am!
    Oh, and once when I went to secondary school I got greeted in Korean - probably because of the huge Korean community just down the road

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm also Vietnamese and it still takes me time to understand about the UK. It seems people here just know much about Europe, many British people travel every year but their favourite places are Spain or Turkey, some of them have never travelled outside the country. May be that's why there are many time when British people see any black hair with yellow skin and single (or double) eyelids they think: "Chinese, chinese".
    Well, maybe they don't know any country in Asia but China because they just watch the movie Kung Fu Panda

ReputationRep:
    Ahh D: so weird..
    Yeahh I noticed that.. its annoying because I always want to be friends but then I'm like do they hate me? D: haha XD

Yeah weird. In comparison with other races, I don't think Oriental Asians are a big minority here.
    Haha it's not that! But rather, Asians tend to stick with their own because they know that between them they have common interests. If it was my first day at college and there was an Asian at one of the tables I would go to it because I'd have lots to talk about with them.
    I don't really fit that stereotype though. All my friends are black and white. xD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I'm Chinese when I went to uni, other students from mainland China quickly formed their little cliques. I wasn't so keen on joining them because I'm actually from Singapore where the standard of Chinese taught is much much poorer. My sister and even my mother didn't get closer to mainland Chinese people when they went to uni either, despite being more confident in the language than I am!
    Oh, and once when I went to secondary school I got greeted in Korean - probably because of the huge Korean community just down the road
    Korean? That's something new.
    I always get greeted in Chinese -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidArmstrong)
    Hi there,
    I'm also Vietnamese and it still takes me time to understand about the UK. It seems people here just know much about Europe, many British people travel every year but their favourite places are Spain or Turkey, some of them have never travelled outside the country. May be that's why there are many time when British people see any black hair with yellow skin and single (or double) eyelids they think: "Chinese, chinese".
    Well, maybe they don't know any country in Asia but China because they just watch the movie Kung Fu Panda

Hi there, fellow Viet.
    Yes, that's so true!! Because those places are cheap lol.
    I've got double eyelids though. Some people think I'm mixed.
    My friends thought I was Chinese from first impression.

Yes. And the mass of Chinese tourists that come here as well. Also, China appears on the news quite a lot since it's a big country.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah weird. In comparison with other races, I don't think Oriental Asians are a big minority here.
    Haha it's not that! But rather, Asians tend to stick with their own because they know that between them they have common interests. If it was my first day at college and there was an Asian at one of the tables I would go to it because I'd have lots to talk about with them.
    I don't really fit that stereotype though. All my friends are black and white. xD.
    Haha I can imagine birds of a feather flock together and all ^^
    Lmaoo XD actually i always flock to the asian people too but because i'm hoping they'll be/know japanese or japanese people so i can practice the language :']

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    Even though I can't relate, my Korean friend was ready to jab anyone in the eye who even called her Chinese :rofl:
    Me too.. I feel like taking those workers down, but I'm not brave enough to yell at their faces or make a complaint. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I can imagine birds of a feather flock together and all ^^
    Lmaoo XD actually i always flock to the asian people too but because i'm hoping they'll be/know japanese or japanese people so i can practice the language :']

I don't see Japanese people here. I just see international Japanese students or tourists. But never one at college/school or in my local area. Do you know any Japanese people in your area? Lol. I barely see them.

ReputationRep:
    I get this sometimes on the streets when I'm walking home from school. I also hate it when people make assumptions as to which part of Asia I'm from, just ask me goddammit!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see Japanese people here. I just see international Japanese students or tourists. But never one at college/school or in my local area. Do you know any Japanese people in your area? Lol. I barely see them.
    They are hard to come by!! I only know as a friend my teacher but I have met quite a few in Japanese events I haven't met any at university yet although i made a wonderful korean friend who made me want to learn that language too haha ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peanutbutterjam)
    I get this sometimes on the streets when I'm walking home from school. I also hate it when people make assumptions as to which part of Asia I'm from, just ask me goddammit!!
    Haha that reminds me of a time a Chinese woman in the street was giving out Chinese newspapers and approached me speaking in Chinese. I just said xie xie (thank you) and took the paper. Lol. Even a Chinese person would assume I'm Chinese.

YESSS!!!! I get you. People would always guess -_-

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.