Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For any economics or Eco/politics joint degree student:
    1) how difficult is the course?
    2) is there a lot of maths involved? Especially for someone who hasn't done a level maths and I got a grade B in gcse
    3) how is the teaching? Is it more written or coursework?
    4) what is employability like with a Eco degree?

I'm thinking of doing economics and politics at Surrey, kent, soas, City and Birmingham..
    Are these uni's good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Economics courses vary in terms of their mathematical content. At undergraduate level you don't have to do masses of maths, some universities make their courses more mathematical in nature while others just cover what you need to understand the core economic theory (which is standard across most unis as most unis will use one of a small group of common micro and macro textbooks).

As a rule of thumb, if the course doesn't ask for A level maths, it won't overload on mathematical content; if it's saying they want A level grade A and preferably further then it's probably very mathematical. There's a common myth that if it's a BA it's less mathematical than a BSc but this is just a naming convention of the university; some BAs are very mathematical. If a uni offers both a BA and a BSc the usual difference is a BA has fewer compulsory modules and allows a freer choice whereas BSc has more of a set core curriculum of modules, but check the module lists on the uni websites.

It's not that hard but you have to enjoy it and have to stay on top of it otherwise you just slip away and never follow it. There will probably be some coursework but a lot of it is assessed through exams. Usually exams are a mixture of short answer and longer answer questions; short answers are brief descriptions often including a sketched graph and maybe some equations; longer answer questions are like short, focused essays.

Employability - depends on your own competencies really but on the whole it prepares you well for a number of careers.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello! My friend does Economics at SOAS and she loves it. Economics at SOAS is really good. It's ranked 15th in the UK for teaching. SOAS will make you think and make you work hard. Professors will push you and make sure you leave SOAS more intelligent, more culturally diverse and ready to make an impact on the world for the better. But don't worry, we work hard and play hard too! There's something for everyone here at SOAS. We have a partnership with Santander that can give you 3-6 months internships and can really launch your career. But you do have to be proactive and go and visit the careers service reps who are really good. My advice is to get active early and often. A few people I know waited until the last minute to go and visit the careers service and even though they found something, they were overly stressed so it's not a good idea to wait until the last minute. Teaching depends on the course. Some are 80/20 exams to coursework. Some are 60/40 coursework to weekly quizzes. Some are 100% exams. You can find out about all the programmes SOAS offers here https://www.soas.ac.uk/economics/programmes/ I'd suggest coming to an open day as well. It's how I made my decision to come here. https://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/ug/opendays/ or if you can't make it then you can always email them and ask more questions. Their email address is [email protected]

I hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prina_R)
    For any economics or Eco/politics joint degree student:
    1) how difficult is the course?
    2) is there a lot of maths involved? Especially for someone who hasn't done a level maths and I got a grade B in gcse
    3) how is the teaching? Is it more written or coursework?
    4) what is employability like with a Eco degree?

I'm thinking of doing economics and politics at Surrey, kent, soas, City and Birmingham..
    Are these uni's good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the answers to your questions all depend on the uni so have a look at their websites

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.