Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guys. Basically went gym with a friend and did some back and arm workouts. The funny thing is I have achy arms, like my back doesn't hurt. Was I doing the back workouts with bad form or with my arms not back to get this pain?
    It was my first day and I feel absolutely rubbish like I've had sore muscles for the past 3 days.

Also when I was doing Dumbbell curls, my right arm like stopped moving upwards, I think I might have damaged my nerves or something

Is this all normal, could anyone give a beginner some tips?

Btw, 16yo 5ft6 55kg if this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loyale)
    Guys. Basically went gym with a friend and did some back and arm workouts. The funny thing is I have achy arms, like my back doesn't hurt. Was I doing the back workouts with bad form or with my arms not back to get this pain?
    It was my first day and I feel absolutely rubbish like I've had sore muscles for the past 3 days.

Also when I was doing Dumbbell curls, my right arm like stopped moving upwards, I think I might have damaged my nerves or something

I've been going to the gym for 2 months so I'm still a beginner, but my back & chest have never ached after a workout for some reason, although they have both broadened and I can lift/pull heavier weights. Basically, if you have been targeting certain muscles and they are not sore afterwards, it does not mean that they have not had an effective workout.

You're biceps are the secondary muscles you use when you work on your back, so I'd say it's normal for your arms to feel sore - mine do too.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say that your right arm "stopped moving upwards". Did you start to feel pain in your arm as you were trying to lift the dumbbell? It could have just been that your bicep was too fatigued to lift it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lighfy)
    I've been going to the gym for 2 months so I'm still a beginner, but my back & chest have never ached after a workout for some reason, although they have both broadened and I can lift/pull heavier weights. Basically, if you have been targeting certain muscles and they are not sore afterwards, it does not mean that they have not had an effective workout.

You're biceps are the secondary muscles you use when you work on your back, so I'd say it's normal for your arms to feel sore - mine do too.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say that your right arm "stopped moving upwards". Did you start to feel pain in your arm as you were trying to lift the dumbbell? It could have just been that your bicep was too fatigued to lift it.
    Yh, I felt pain in the bicep when I tried to lift

ReputationRep:
    It's really hard to get that mind to muscle connection when training back. You need to work out to contract all the muscles in your back, your lats and rhomboids and scapula. Once you've done that you will be able to work your back better, and will use your biceps less and train your back more. Your form probably was slightly off which is why your back isn't sore but your arms are, it could also be because you're a beginner.

I wouldn't worry about the soreness in your arms, as you train more regularly you tend to get less sore as your body adjusts. As a beginner I would avoid training arms, and would stick to mostly compound lifts: bench, squat, deadlift, dips, rows and nail your form on them. Look up some upper/lower splits or maybe a push/pull/legs split

ReputationRep:
    Gym is bad for you. Never go there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If your arm locked up as you were curling it means you were probably done or needed a longer rest. I recently got back to the gym after a little break, went ham and literally couldn't take off my damn t shirt because of how ham i went. Its sort of common I guess, back workouts take a lil longer to settle in but if its been 3 days you either didnt do enough or your form was ****. Generally, when you work out - you will feel this tightness starting to build from within the muscle you are training - this is a good indication of whether you are doing it right or not. If you are doing a back workout and your shoulders are tight then your form is ****. hope that helps lel

ReputationRep:
    This always happens when you go gym first days but they will repair themselves and appear bigger

ReputationRep:

No this is completely normal for a beginner, you're meant to be sore for the first few days, sometimes a week.

But don't worry just let your body recover then continue your workout, but try keeping good form otherwise you may end up injuring yourself in the future.

ReputationRep:

I have been a comeptetiave powerlifter and I can tell you all of this is fine.

I recommend the following routines:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...rting_Strength

When you have got all you can out of this routine (around 1 to 2 years of gains) I advise you to Squat high bar ATG raw daily and either do an intermiediate strength rotuine, or a body building routine on top of that.

ReputationRep:
    Aching afterwards is perfectly normal. I remember my first gym session it took me over a week for my muscles to loosen back up as they were very tight.

The arm thing is normal, too. Usually an indication that your arms are tiring when you can't bend them, this will happen a lot of the time when you've worked them hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proxenus)
    Gym is bad for you. Never go there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed. Last Sunday a guy broke his wrist for some reason and they even called the ambulance to pick him up. Funny thing is, he walked out just fine.

ReputationRep:

My back doesn't hurt even if I do back workouts but my chest definitely aches

ReputationRep:
    sorry brah it sounds like you got chronic nerve damage from curling
    its over for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    My back doesn't hurt even if I do back workouts but my chest definitely aches
    My back still doesn't ache but I've switched over to dumbbell bench press from the barbell press and my upper chest aches sooo much the day after my workout. Maybe my form was slightly off when I was using the barbell

ReputationRep:
    My back still doesn't ache but I've switched over to dumbbell bench press from the barbell press and my upper chest aches sooo much the day after my workout. Maybe my form was slightly off when I was using the barbell
    haha perhaps! feel the gainz
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Being sore doesn't mean anything in terms of gains

ReputationRep:
    ya
    don't b a saw looser

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.