Turn on thread page Beta

I'm a 19 year-old girl, and I don't know why this happens but it upsets me quite a lot.
    I've left school now and am working, but I found out that people had said stuff about me behind my back. One of my best friends had a Maths class with a guy who I would've considered an acquaintance. Apparently he said to her (about me), I hate her, she's really weird.
    I have literally never been anything other than polite to him and I'm pretty sure i've never said/done anything really out of the ordinary or whatever.
    When we were in year 11, a girl said the exact same thing about me. She went round saying she hated me, and my friend asked her why, what had I done to her etc. She replied that there was 'just something she didn't like about me'.
    A guy removed me on facebook but has all of my other friends as friends, even if he doesn't know them all well. I added another guy from my class and he rejected me.
    I got bullied incessantly until about 6th form when it got better. I don't understand. I take care of myself, have good hygeine. I'm quite quiet with people I don't know well, but i'm nothing than friendly and polite.
    I do have a group of friends who I have a good laugh with, and it just upsets me that people who do not even know me, have had such a strong dislike for me.
    Has anyone else ever exprienced the same thing? Any ideas as to what it could be?
    I'm also normal in terms of height, weight, I don't have any kind of extreme hairstyle or dress sense etc... thanks
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a 19 year-old girl, and I don't know why this happens but it upsets me quite a lot.
    I've left school now and am working, but I found out that people had said stuff about me behind my back. One of my best friends had a Maths class with a guy who I would've considered an acquaintance. Apparently he said to her (about me), I hate her, she's really weird.
    I have literally never been anything other than polite to him and I'm pretty sure i've never said/done anything really out of the ordinary or whatever.
    When we were in year 11, a girl said the exact same thing about me. She went round saying she hated me, and my friend asked her why, what had I done to her etc. She replied that there was 'just something she didn't like about me'.
    A guy removed me on facebook but has all of my other friends as friends, even if he doesn't know them all well. I added another guy from my class and he rejected me.
    I got bullied incessantly until about 6th form when it got better. I don't understand. I take care of myself, have good hygeine. I'm quite quiet with people I don't know well, but i'm nothing than friendly and polite.
    I do have a group of friends who I have a good laugh with, and it just upsets me that people who do not even know me, have had such a strong dislike for me.
    Has anyone else ever exprienced the same thing? Any ideas as to what it could be?
    I'm also normal in terms of height, weight, I don't have any kind of extreme hairstyle or dress sense etc... thanks
    :console:

It might be something that's really difficult to see in yourself, or there might be nothing wrong with you at all and perhaps they're the one with issues and they're projecting it on to you.

I think what you need is to ask one of your best friends to be absolutely honest about whether there's anything 'weird' about you that you could work on.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of people who were bullied look in to them selves for the answering thinking it was something they did wrong.
    It's not!!!!!
    People treat you badly because they probably see you as an easy target. If you are quiet then they know you won't bite back, it'll feed their insecurities and gossip giving them a weird buzz.
    So firstly, don't blame yourself, just be yourself. You are wonderful the way you are and you don't need to change.
    However, you can change the way you think/feel/respond to these people. Instead of trying to win them back, just completely ignore the situation. Don't ask about it or seem upset. They want you to worry about it because it feeds their attention.
    Does this make sense? It's them that is the issue, not you

Thanks for the reply Yeah it hurts me a lot. I've tried to look in the mirror and watch myself talking and see how I come across etc.
    Maybe I just look a bit awkward in my mannerisms and stuff. Fair enough, but to say that they 'hate' me as a result and go round telling people about me seems so extreme Ah well... such is life I guess...

(Original post by Hevachan)
    Alot of people who were bullied look in to them selves for the answering thinking it was something they did wrong.
    It's not!!!!!
    People treat you badly because they probably see you as an easy target. If you are quiet then they know you won't bite back, it'll feed their insecurities and gossip giving them a weird buzz.
    So firstly, don't blame yourself, just be yourself. You are wonderful the way you are and you don't need to change.
    However, you can change the way you think/feel/respond to these people. Instead of trying to win them back, just completely ignore the situation. Don't ask about it or seem upset. They want you to worry about it because it feeds their attention.
    Does this make sense? It's them that is the issue, not you
    Thanks, that helps a lot Yes I shouldn't care what they think, rather than trying to be extra nice to them to compensate and hope that they'll start to like me :s their problem I guess

ReputationRep:
    Haters are going to hate. Just reject them for hating you.

ReputationRep:
    Well from what you've written I don't see anything particularly problematic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks, that helps a lot Yes I shouldn't care what they think, rather than trying to be extra nice to them to compensate and hope that they'll start to like me :s their problem I guess
    Yeah I was reading a book and it said that if people keep doing things to you that you dont like then you have to change the way you respond.
    They are mean to you so you are extra nice to win them back. Maybe next time if you ignore them and don't care then they will think 'oh we arent getting attention anymore.. lets move on to something else'

thanks a lot guys! Problem is I just care too much what people think and I really shouldn't. They're the ones making themselves look *****y I guess.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2015
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.