Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me specific information about the History course in Oxford University. The information on their website is pretty vague If anyone has or is doing it could they tell me the choices/periods of history that they had the option to study during the first/second and third year?
    I'm also very fond of theater and would like to know is I could keep on doing some drama there as well?
    Thank you very much!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by h.dupre16)
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me specific information about the History course in Oxford University. The information on their website is pretty vague If anyone has or is doing it could they tell me the choices/periods of history that they had the option to study during the first/second and third year?
    I'm also very fond of theater and would like to know is I could keep on doing some drama there as well?
    Thank you very much!
    Just to check, have you looked at the department website? This seems to have a list of all of the modules available (if you click on the blue titles).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Just to check, have you looked at the department website? This seems to have a list of all of the modules available (if you click on the blue titles).
    Thank you so much! I completely missed this page!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!
    I'm a second year History student at Oxford, if you have any questions let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    I'm a second year History student at Oxford, if you have any questions let me know
    Do you ever go to watch the debates that they put on youtube?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    Hi, well I actually have a few.Although my applications have to be sent soon, I am not 100% sure whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge. The History program seems pretty similar from what I have seen. Did you hesitate between the two universities ? What particularly interested you about the History program at Oxford ? I noticed that in Oxford there is a joint subject program History and Politics that I could definitely enjoy, do you have a word on that ? I also have a question about the colleges, I really do not know which one to chose and I am thinking about an open application but some teachers have told me it's not the best option.. How did you chose a college, do you have one that you recommend ? I absolutely adore History and enjoy studying it but definitely like 19th-20th century issues more. I saw that the program does focus on some of this time period but do I still have to chose other centuries ? Finally, regarding the entrance examinations, first of all : what are they ? I know that I would have to take the TSA, but is there another exam specific to the History subject? Do you recommend anything for the preparatuon of the TSA (and other exams) ? If you could answer of few of these questions, it would really be amazing ! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Kitchener)
    Do you ever go to watch the debates that they put on youtube?
    I don't personally, but it's got more to do with logistics than anything else. I don't like to queue for hours only to be turned away because the venue has reached capacity. The Union is run by students and they can't seem to get the ticketing system to work functionally for people. It's quite frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, well I actually have a few.Although my applications have to be sent soon, I am not 100% sure whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge. The History program seems pretty similar from what I have seen. Did you hesitate between the two universities ? What particularly interested you about the History program at Oxford ? I noticed that in Oxford there is a joint subject program History and Politics that I could definitely enjoy, do you have a word on that ? I also have a question about the colleges, I really do not know which one to chose and I am thinking about an open application but some teachers have told me it's not the best option.. How did you chose a college, do you have one that you recommend ? I absolutely adore History and enjoy studying it but definitely like 19th-20th century issues more. I saw that the program does focus on some of this time period but do I still have to chose other centuries ? Finally, regarding the entrance examinations, first of all : what are they ? I know that I would have to take the TSA, but is there another exam specific to the History subject? Do you recommend anything for the preparatuon of the TSA (and other exams) ? If you could answer of few of these questions, it would really be amazing ! Thank you
    1) I didn't even consider Cambridge. I preferred the idea of sitting an entrance exam versus worrying about whether my UMS scores were good enough for admission. The HAT provides another opportunity for applicants to shine; if you screwed up your AS exams, like I did, then the HAT can make up for it.

2) I was particularly interested in Oxford's History course as it offers the opportunity to explore social and cultural themes as well as political, economic, and religious. Cambridge's course is more limited in its scope - mainly political and economic.

3) In terms of History and Politics, it's a great choice if you're interested in political theory and you want that to shape your understanding of the past.

4) Colleges - if you genuinely have no preference then an open application is a great option. It makes NO difference to your chance of getting a place. However, the opportunity to express a preference is something to think about. If you want something specific from your college then I'd recommend picking a college based on facilities and / or location. My college, for example, has ensuite accommodation for all three years so I chose it based on that. Remember: NO college is better or worse for History or HisPol than another. You'll have classes and tutorials across the university so it makes no difference at all.

5) There is only one requirement made of History students at Oxford: you have to study one Medieval, one Early Modern, and one Modern paper during the course of your degree. Other than that you can study as much as you like of the 19th century. However, there is more to studying history than just working in terms of time periods; papers are offered on a variety of themes and critical approaches (i.e. feminism) so you might want to think about that.

6) Entrance exams - you will NOT have to sit the TSA (who told you that?!). However, you WILL have to sit the HAT. It's an aptitude test that aims to assess your critical reading faculty, ability to construct a sophisticated argument, and historical imagination and originality. Check the link for more information: http://www.admissionstestingservice....hat/about-hat/

*Check the link above for information on the structure of the paper*

7) HAT preparation - practice practice practice. Practice analysing both primary and secondary sources, and practice planning and writing essays. For the essay question, DO NOT attempt to re-write an essay you've already written for your AS or A2 course. Be FLEXIBLE with your knowledge and try and be as original as possible.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.