Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, I'm 16 and I've recently just started college. In the future, I want a career as either a psychologist or a paediatric nurse. In August, I got the following GCSE results; English Language and Literature-C, Maths-C, Core and Additional Science-C, Religious Studies-C, French-D, Geography-D and Health & Social Care-F (everyone in my year who took Health & Social got a F so..). When I enrolled for college, I wanted to do A level Biology and Health & Social Care but I wasn't able to as my grades didn't fit the requirements. I ended up choosing A level Psychology, Sociology and Environmental Science. Do you think these A levels I have chosen will help me the slightest when I want to study degrees for Nursing or Psychology or should I retake GCSE Maths, Science and Health & Social Care so I can achieve higher grades and study A level Biology and Health & Social? Please leave some advice because I have no idea what direction to head in...

ReputationRep:
    being honest here....you DONT need to know about your future in year 12 as in the career you want...consider rather your degree.Focus on acing year 12,do work experience in the summer(absolutley imperative so that you get exposed to different job roles for instance before going into year 13 this year i done some volunteering in a library and ive now found out i HATE admin work.)Look on the National Careers Service/Target Jobs/Prospect/Milkround

Do some research into what a degree actually entails and think about whether you actually want to be a psychologist since it is no easy feat , i was once like you but after doing alot of research i can safely say i dont want to be a psychologist 100% partly due to feeling that there are other jobs which i could do and its very competitve to get in if you lack experience plus being a psychologist here isnt exactly a thing of demand in the UK but more likely in other countries(I think,not sure about this at all) but if thats what you want to do maybe ask your careers advisor at your school or a psychology teacher.

Highly reccomend if you want to do nursing or psychology you consider retaking maths as most courses i've seen require a B at GCSE as for science some of the top unis asks for a grade B.

Hope this helps in some way

Thank you, your advice has helped a lot. I'm gonna do some research about degrees at universities and take it from there. Thank you again

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.