Turn on thread page Beta

I recently moved to London for my new job and since I moved I've been suffering from mild depression (I've had it before) and anxiety.

The first few months in London were really tough for me. The move was expensive and there were a lot of unforeseen costs which meant I was broke for the first couple of months. I was waking up three to four times in the night due to worry, I was skipping meals to save on my food bill and I broke down in tears countless times. I have some friends in London and my boyfriend lives here, but I felt incredibly lonely and isolated and I didn't know how to talk to anyone about my problems..

My money issues have eased somewhat but I'm still suffering from anxiety, which is mainly around my job. I find it interesting and I enjoy the work, but I'm scared I'm going to get sacked. I think I work hard but it's silly mistakes which let me down My review is coming up and I'm scared they will have nothing positive to say and they regret hiring me. I feel like I've invested a lot of money, time and energy into this move and I really want it to work out, but I'm so worried it's not going to.

I guess I just need some advice on how to cope with this anxiety, I get stressed so easily these days and when I do I physically can't it and it just dominates my thoughts :/

ReputationRep:
    I've suffered from depression a lot throughout my life and I was worried about similar things at my last job so I understand how you feel. But honestly it's the little things that really do help. Positive reinforcement goes a long way, so like when you feel like you've made a small mistake just think about it straight away and think about what you can do to rectify it or even if there is something you can do to counter balance so it won't be as noticeable, and when you do this or just when you do something at work that you're proud of just realize that's why they hired you; because they saw you were a capable person who would be beneficial to thier company/industry.
    Take time out for you once a day. This can be anything, a 5 minute walk in the fresh air or even your favourite chocolate bar once a week. Surround yourself with things that bring happy memories, for me it's postcards from when I've traveled with friends. Challenge yourself to new situations, earlier this year when I suffered with a bout of depression I became really introverted and didn't want to speak to anyone outside of uni and work, after one night at the local pub with a couple of friends I spoke to new people and made some new friends. It sounds really cliche but a stranger is only a potential friend and the best way to meet new people is to get back out there and it'll build up your confidence. It might even help to join an online forum for something you have an interest in and just messaging people will help you feel less isolated.
    Finally the last thing i'm going to mention is ASMR. They're a type of videos of youtube and there's some tracks on spotify and they help with relaxation. A friends recommended them to me last year after I started to have a lot of problems getting to sleep, so now every night 15 minutes before bed I listed to one video and it just helps me relax and take my mind off everything, even just for a little while.
    I really hope I helped and I wasn't just babbling on, but you won' just wake up one day feeling better and happy it will take a little while but stick to it. Remember that you're a fantastically brave person to move to London in the first place and the company you work for obviously see something good in you, so don't doubt yourself, even though I know that's easier said than done.
    Good luck, and I hope it all works out for you

ReputationRep:
    I used to have the same thoughts as you but not so much anymore.

Try to remember sacking somebody is not some trivial thing that will come out of the blue you will likely know about it for awhile if its going that way. Most of that anxiety is in your head - I wouldn't be surprised if you go to the review and everything is fine.

Also cut down on coffee if you are drinking alot !I found it made me significantly more stressed at work.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.