Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I wonder if someone could help me with this question - I'm sure it's simple but it's driving me mad! I have to express this term:

\mathrm{cosec(} \frac{2pi}{3} \mathrm{)}

as the trig ratio of an acute angle, using the same trig function.

If you could please explain how to go about working this out, I'd be most grateful! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Cosec(2π/3) = 1/sin(2π/3).
    and remember that the sine function is symmetric about the the line x=π/2 or π/2 meaning at sin(60) = sin(120) both in degrees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funky_Giraffe)
    Hi there,

I wonder if someone could help me with this question - I'm sure it's simple but it's driving me mad! I have to express this term:

If you could please explain how to go about working this out, I'd be most grateful! Thanks!
    Find the sine of that value and divide it from one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Cosec(2π/3) = 1/sin(2π/3).
    and remember that the sine function is symmetric about the the line x=π/2 or π/2 meaning at sin(60) = sin(120) both in degrees
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Find the sine of that value and divide it from one.
    Hey! Thanks for the help - I just wanted to check: is cot(490) the same as -cot(50)

[both angles in degrees]

And for that last question ^^ I got cosec(1/3π) - is that right?! Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    Yes cot(490) = - cot(50)
    And the answer you got is right

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Thanks for the help - I just wanted to check: is cot(490) the same as -cot(50)

[both angles in degrees]

And for that last question ^^ I got cosec(1/3π) - is that right?! Thanks so much
    Yes, and what last question?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, kkboyk maybe you could help? It was:

Prove this trig identity:

(\sin \theta - \mathrm{cosec }    \theta)^2 \equiv \sin^2 \theta + \mathrm{cot}^2 \theta -1

I started with the left side, and got up to

\sin^2 \theta - \frac{2 \sin \theta}{\sin \theta} + \frac{1}{\sin^2 \theta}

But not really sure where to go from hear to end up with
     \sin^2 \theta + \mathrm{cot}^2 \theta -1

ReputationRep:
    What you can do here is combine sinθ and cosecθ and make it as one fraction all over a common denominator of sinθ
    Then squaring this term is easy and you should then be able to get to the RHS

ReputationRep:
    Hey, kkboyk maybe you could help? It was:

Prove this trig identity:

(\sin \theta - \mathrm{cosec }    \theta)^2 \equiv \sin^2 \theta + \mathrm{cot}^2 \theta -1

I started with the left side, and got up to

\sin^2 \theta - \frac{2 \sin \theta}{\sin \theta} + \frac{1}{\sin^2 \theta}

But not really sure where to go from hear to end up with
     \sin^2 \theta + \mathrm{cot}^2 \theta -1
    Expand the first bracket to get sin^2 -2 +cosec^2 (2sinxcosec is is equal to 2).

use other identities such as cosec^2 = 1+cot^2 and simplify.

ReputationRep:
    Expand the first bracket to get sin^2 -2 +cosec^2 (2sinxcosec is is equal to 2).

use other identities such as cosec^2 = 1+cot^2 and simplify.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    B_9710 kkboyk Hey, these two questions are linked and I just can't seem to work out how to go about answering!! Can you help me in any way??

i) \mathrm{Prove\ that} \tan 15^{\circ} = \ 2 - \sqrt 3

(I tried to split up the fraction into more obvious numbers (ie tan(60-45) but I don't think that's allowed?)

and then:

ii) \mathrm{Find\ the\ exact\ value\ of}  \left (\sin 22\frac{1}{2}^{\circ} + \cos 22\frac{1}{2}^{\circ} \right) ^2

ReputationRep:
    B_9710 kkboyk Hey, these two questions are linked and I just can't seem to work out how to go about answering!! Can you help me in any way??

(I tried to split up the fraction into more obvious numbers (ie tan(60-45) but I don't think that's allowed?)

and then:

ii) \mathrm{Find\ the\ exact\ value\ of}  \left (\sin 22\frac{1}{2}^{\circ} + \cos 22\frac{1}{2}^{\circ} \right) ^2
    That is quite precisely what you should for (i) \displaystyle \tan 15^{\circ} \equiv \tan \left(60^{\circ}- 45^{\circ} \right)  = \ldots I'm sure you can take it from there.

ReputationRep:

and then:

Thats precisely what you dofor (i). For (ii) you can try to expand the brackets, and dividng by either cos or sine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    That is quite precisely what you should for (i) \displaystyle \tan 15^{\circ} \equiv \tan \left(60^{\circ}- 45^{\circ} \right)  = \ldots I'm sure you can take it from there.
    Thanks very much! Problem solved... !! With the second question, which kkboyk kindly I suggested I multiply out, I'm having trouble. Is there another method or is it easier than I'm making it? I'm confused about dealing with:

sin22.5cos22.5 ... + etc. when I multiply out.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much! Problem solved... !! With the second question, which kkboyk kindly I suggested I multiply out, I'm having trouble. Is there another method or is it easier than I'm making it? I'm confused about dealing with:

Ignore what I've said, sorry. I'm bad at trig myself

Here's a big hint: use  sin^2{x} + cos^2{x} = 1 so now you'll be focusing only on the middle value and use the half angle formula.

ReputationRep:

When you multiply it out you'll get something of the form \sin^2 \alpha + 2\sin \alpha \cos \alpha + \cos^2 \alpha, which I'm sure are forms you recognise - one is a double angle formula for something and the other is the well-known Pythagorean identity.
    Spoiler:
    Show

\sin \left(2 \times 22.5^{\circ}\right) \equiv \sin 45^{\circ} is a well known trig value.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore what I've said, sorry. I'm bad at trig myself Here's a big hint: use  sin^2{x} + cos^2{x} = 1 so now you'll be focusing only on the middle value and use the half angle formula.
    (Original post by Zacken)
    When you multiply it out you'll get something of the form \sin^2 \alpha + 2\sin \alpha \cos \alpha + \cos^2 \alpha, which I'm sure are forms you recognise - one is a double angle formula for something and the other is the well-known Pythagorean identity.
    Spoiler:
    Show

\sin \left(2 \times 22.5^{\circ}\right) \equiv \sin 45^{\circ} is a well known trig value.

Thank you both for your help

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for your help
    Glad I could be of service!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Sorry for being random, but I just LOVE your avatar

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 7, 2015

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.