Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm doing A-level psychology, English lit. and maths along with an EPQ, which I'm considering dropping for AS physics.

I was kinda ushered into choosing the EPQ, and an essay on any topic of my choice seemed right up my alley. But I've heard a lot of discouraging stuff by now, like how time consuming it is and how it's research based (pretty much ruling out doing a piece on any of my passions). What's more is, if I do stellar in my AS levels (which I intend to), I'll be able to carry physics on to A2 which will ultimately amount to more UCAS points and a brighter uni application. It'll also keep my options open and means I could go into engineering (I've been eyeing aeronautical engineering).

So should I drop the EPQ while I can? 2 weeks to decide. The topics I'm thinking of doing are "The British education system and all its failings" or something about the collapse of world religions. But I wouldn't do a course in either education or religion/theology/philosophy at uni, and I've been told to only do the EPQ if you're basing it on something pertinent to your uni course.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, AS physics is a good move if you want to do engineering.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above. If you were to undertake engineering, then previous physics knowledge would be greatly beneficial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devenir)
    So I'm doing A-level psychology, English lit. and maths along with an EPQ, which I'm considering dropping for AS physics.

I was kinda ushered into choosing the EPQ, and an essay on any topic of my choice seemed right up my alley. But I've heard a lot of discouraging stuff by now, like how time consuming it is and how it's research based (pretty much ruling out doing a piece on any of my passions). What's more is, if I do stellar in my AS levels (which I intend to), I'll be able to carry physics on to A2 which will ultimately amount to more UCAS points and a brighter uni application. It'll also keep my options open and means I could go into engineering (I've been eyeing aeronautical engineering).

So should I drop the EPQ while I can? 2 weeks to decide. The topics I'm thinking of doing are "The British education system and all its failings" or something about the collapse of world religions. But I wouldn't do a course in either education or religion/theology/philosophy at uni, and I've been told to only do the EPQ if you're basing it on something pertinent to your uni course.

Thanks.
    Definitely do physics instead of an EPQ.

ReputationRep:
    Just want to clarify that I'm not really set on engineering, I'm just trying to keep my options open atm.

ReputationRep:
    Just want to clarify that I'm not really set on engineering, I'm just trying to keep my options open atm.
    Doing a Physics A level is pretty much keeping your options open.

ReputationRep:
    Update - there isn't a possibility of me doing a full A level in physics, just the AS.

ReputationRep:
    Update - there isn't a possibility of me doing a full A level in physics, just the AS.
    Isnt an epq equivalent to an as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sourestdeeds)
    Isnt an epq equivalent to an as?
    Yeah, but the EPQ affords more UCAS points, and if I can't carry on physics at A2 it won't open my options up much more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Could you do both?

I found I only needed about 2 weeks to do my EPQ (got A*)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Could you do both?

I found I only needed about 2 weeks to do my EPQ (got A*)
    Wow! What was it on?
    My school wouldn't allow that, but it's possible for me to do a second EPQ in year 13 if my results prove I can handle the work load.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wow! What was it on?
    My school wouldn't allow that, but it's possible for me to do a second EPQ in year 13 if my results prove I can handle the work load.
    A social scientific review of the current theories of religion as evolutionary adaptive.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.