Turn on thread page Beta

Changing gas cooker to electric?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Slight backstory, about 3-4 weeks ago, the flats gas oven decided to conk out. Hobs work fine, grill get gas but ignition doesnt work (so have to put hand inside with a match!), but oven only has the tiniest of flames and doesnt cook.
    We've tried rubbing the nozzles etc but no effect, but someones suggested it could be the control knob thats the problem and needs replacing..

So..after going a few weeks without a working gas oven, my flatmate decided to buy a new one, without any consultation or asking or anything! Literally all I know is its an electric one this time, is black and arrives later today.
    She DIDN'T take the option of installation, as it was apparently an extra £70 and she didnt want to pay it..I found this out earlier today when I asked if they are installing it too.

Thing is, dont you need plumbers and electricians in for all this stuff?! I must admit I have no idea, but I thought it was a plumber to seal the gas pipes, and ive read that an electrician needs to set up some electrical system to handle the power requirements?! If its the one I think it is, then it requires 'hardwiring'?
    The cooker is literally being dropped off, and thats it. Flatmate says she'll just turn off the supply to the gas cooker as she's done it before and didnt die.
    Am I right to be worried??

ReputationRep:
    If you are renting, this sounds like the landlord's problem. Also, is it the landlord's gas cooker? If the inventory says "1 gas cooker" there'll have to be one working gas cooker present when you leave or you'll lose the deposit.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the gas fitting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    If you are renting, this sounds like the landlord's problem. Also, is it the landlord's gas cooker? If the inventory says "1 gas cooker" there'll have to be one working gas cooker present when you leave or you'll lose the deposit.
    I think it was one she had off someone else when she moved in 3-4 years ago, I recall her saying something about when the council gave her the place, there was almost nothing here so she had to get a load of hand me downs from other people.

It arrived today, and is indeed the one I thought, it does need hardwiring and as far as I can tell, there is nothing around the cooker to hardwire into. Pretty sure flatmate is just expecting to plug it into the wall socket with the kettle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnsheppard99)
    I think it was one she had off someone else when she moved in 3-4 years ago, I recall her saying something about when the council gave her the place, there was almost nothing here so she had to get a load of hand me downs from other people.

It arrived today, and is indeed the one I thought, it does need hardwiring and as far as I can tell, there is nothing around the cooker to hardwire into. Pretty sure flatmate is just expecting to plug it into the wall socket with the kettle!
    You could try your luck and request that the gas oven to be fixed anyway.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.